Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > vocabulary    

vocabulary

tachitorres
Albania

vocabulary

I have just seen a short film called The plan and I don �t know what the words nickel sludge stand for in the senmtence " I just won 50 bucks on the nickel sludge". Can anyone out there help me? thanks a lot in advance. Have a great day!!

15 May 2013      

paola.e
Italy

ciao

15 May 2013     

eliana
Portugal

Check this definition :

15 May 2013     

douglas
United States

nickel sludge usually refers to a type of scrap nickel (a metal)

I don �t really follow why they would say that they had just "won 50 bucks" on it--perhaps nickel sludge is also the name some local gambling game.

Directly read it means he turned a profit of 50 dollars with scrap metal (nickel).

15 May 2013     

Peter Hardy
Australia

The term �Sludge � is indeed used in reference to the gambling industry. A nickel is an American coin, so imagine a gambling machine like the one-arm-bandit and you got what they talked about in the movie. To make money on real nickel sludge, you need much more than anyone could handle. See image. Cheers.

15 May 2013     

tachitorres
Albania

Thanks a lot. You �ve all been really helpful. Have a great evening!!

15 May 2013