Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > HELP!    

HELP!

araveg
Spain

HELP!

Dear friends,

Is this sentence a second conditional or could it be a third one?

1.       What (you/do) _WOULD YOU DO__________ if you (become) _____BECAME___________ the boss of the company?

Thanksin advance

15 May 2013      

DarwinMedina
Colombia

Hi there! It seems like a possibility based on a hypothesis, not on reality. I would say that it is a second conditional.
Makin it an unreal past possibility might be too much: What would you have done if you had become the boss of the company?...
Greetings from Colombia.

15 May 2013     

araveg
Spain

Thank you. I think the same but I had a small doubt.
Greetings from Madrid.

16 May 2013     

Dyana13
Romania

Darwin is right, second conditional

16 May 2013     

anaram
Spain

I agree it is more likely to treat it as a second conditional because there is no further context.

What would you have done if you had become the boss of the company? would imply the person is no longer working for that company and there is no possibility of becoming president any more or that there is a new boss and maybe that person had chances of getting the post but he/ she didn �t get it.

Still, provided the right context, the sentence would be correct. So, although I always advise my students not to use far-fetched interpretations, in tests I accept that kind of answer. 

Ana

16 May 2013