Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > IT help    

IT help

Jayho
Australia

IT help

Hi everyone

This is an IT question.

Before, when I did a google search for a PPT I could hover my mouse over the righthand side of the result page to see the first page of the PPT.  Now I don�t have that option.

Before, I could safely view PDF and Word documents in a preview format, without opening the actual document. It would open up in a google page with a very long link.  Now I don�t have that option.

Before, when I did a google search, my macafee would show which sites were safe and which ones were not.  Now I don�t have that option.

I don�t know when or how I got those options but now I don�t have them and I would like them back.  I�ve had a bit of trouble with my PC lately; not working after booting, crashing on boot up and getting that blue dump screen regularly. So maybe something is missing.

Can you tell me how to get those three options back?  I�m using IE8 and Office10.

Cheers

Jayho

18 May 2013      

alien boy
Japan

Hi Jayho! sorry to hear about your IT problems. It sounds like you may have some corrupted files. The first thing I �d do is a system restore & return your system to a point before your crashes etc. You shouldn �t lose any of your work but it should reset a lot of your behind the scenes operating system stuff. Here �s how you do it for Windows 7: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/products/features/system-restore

19 May 2013     

ELOJOLIE274
France

hi,
have you tried to check errors on your hard-drive in the boot menu? i had a lot of problems as well (the blue screen appearing quite regularly too) and i had to change my hard-drive...

19 May 2013     

jannabanna
France

It sounds as if you have a bug somewhere so I would agree with alien boy do is a system restore & return your system to a point before your problem. I presume you �ve done a virus check. Fingers crossed for you, we �ve all been there before !!! Janet

19 May 2013     

perma
Greece

In the meanwhile, back up all your files.
I had some problems booting up a while ago, didn �t pay attention until one day the PC died. Hard disc damage.
I don �t like to remember the money I paid to restore my lost files... 

19 May 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I am using google chrome and I know the option you �re describing. I also had an arrow next to the names of the website and the search engine allowed me to see the first page of the site on the right, but this option is no longer available to me either (on both of my PCs, so I guess it has nothing to do with the program files). I think it has been changed by google...
Sophia

19 May 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Hi all & AB - long time no see. 

Thx for yr advice everyone.  During the last crash it asked me to do a system restore which I declined because I was worried about losing files. That was about two weeks ago and haven �t had a crash since, but I all I did then was turn the PC off then back on again (with fingers crossed) and everything was still there.  I do have a back up on an external drive and also a system image backup thingamabob (which I don �t reallyunderstand but once I need to use it I guess I will) but it was from February.  I thought if I did another system image backup it might copy the problems that I obviously have.

I don �t know how to check my hard drive in the boot menu but have done virus check.

Anyway, have lots of little problems also like DVD drive not opening properly, not all USB ports working anymore, some keys sticking, etc etc so maybe I �ll just update my PC and keep this as the spare since my current spare is now quite outdated.

Sophia - glad to hear that you had that too.  I did have Chrome but I uninstalled it and went back to IE8.  That was actually the beginning of the blue screen crash dumps.

Cheers everyone

Jayho

19 May 2013