Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > sentence structure    

sentence structure

liewsusfah
Malaysia

sentence structure

(a) I want to be a soldier like my father was.

(b) I want to be a soldier like my father did.

(c) I want to be a soldier like my father.

By the way, which is the correct usage ? May someone help, pls?

21 May 2013      

MoodyMoody
United States

A and C are both correct, but the meanings are slightly different. B is wrong. A is correct because the infinitive "to be" matches the verb "was" in the dependent clause. This means that father is no longer a soldier. B is wrong because "be" is the only verb in English that does not use "do" as a helping verb in the negative, question, or emphatic forms. C implies that father is still a soldier. I hope this helps.

21 May 2013     

liewsusfah
Malaysia

Can i say
d) I want to be a soldier like my father is.

e) I �d wanted to be a soldier like my father was.

22 May 2013     

yanogator
United States

Yes to both d and e. I agree with MoodyMoody about A and C.

Bruce

22 May 2013     

anaram
Spain

In formal written English, "as" is used instead of  "like" as as conjuction. In your examples, only C uses "like" as a preposition. So, if it is a test with all those options, I would choose C.  The other options moodymoody and Bruce said are, of course, perfectly aceptable in spoken English and in not very formal written language.

You can see explanation and examples in OALD

Ana

22 May 2013     

FrauSue
France

I �m not a soldier yet, but my father is a soldier: I want to be a soldier like my father (is).
I �m not a soldier yet, and my father is no longer a soldier: I want to be a soldier like my father (was).
I am now a soldier, and am explaining my motivation OR I wanted to be a soldier when I was younger, but don �t want to be one now: I wanted to be a soldier like my father (is/was).

22 May 2013