Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Slumdog millionaire MOVIE!! HELP    

Slumdog millionaire MOVIE!! HELP

Ladylore
Chile

Slumdog millionaire MOVIE!! HELP

Hi everyone,

I �m from Chile, and I �m teaching teenagers. I �m planning to watch "Slumbdog Millionaire", but I haven �t found any movie with subtitles in English or even Spanish. My students level is very basic, and this will be their first movie in English, so they will be very frustrated watching that movie with such a complex language (hindi&english). I want to try first with some help (subtitles).

I Hope someone can help me :)

Hugs from Chile!!!

Loreto

26 May 2013      

huddersboy
Japan

i usually subscene.com for trying to find subtitles for movies

26 May 2013     

sol_landia
Chile

http://www.subdivx.com/X5X-subtitulos-slumdog-millionaire.html

26 May 2013     

Danonanette
Argentina

I think you should let them watch the movie with the sound in their own language while reading the subtitles in english, it will be difficult for them, to understand. And if they feel frustated they won�t want to watch it and It will be a pitty because it�s a very interesting movie. Once they watched it you do and after watching work. I did it and it worked.... If you are interested on it I can share the assingment with you.

26 May 2013     

EstherLee76
Peru

You need to do a lot of preparation so that they can understand and appreciate the movie.  Talk about the setting, game shows, poverty, etc.  Try to anticipate the vocabulary and grammar before they see it.  Stop the movie occasionally to see if the students understand.

Good luck!

26 May 2013     

alien boy
Japan

I �d usually use a film like this across a few lessons. Give them some background information (but no spoilers) & the movie in a few chunks so they have time to think & digest the movie. It will add a lot to their understanding of the language if they �re not rushed!

Let us know how it goes Big smile

27 May 2013     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Slumdog Millionaire is a lovely movie, but why not start with something easier, especially if your ss are beginners? I.e. kids of all ages, like my adult students, enjoy animated movies! Secondly, most movies from DVD have subtitles �build-in �. I prefer to use shorter clips from YouTube for my beginners, or I use �Audacity � (see Google) to cut movies myself. But as Ester Lee pointed out, it �s a lot of work. But hey, that �s what teaching is all about: work of love! Cheers, Peter.

27 May 2013