Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help needed    

Help needed

Poppingdale
Portugal

Help needed

Hi, dear members.

Can a computer be considered a gadget?
Thank you!

29 May 2013      

portugueseteacher
Portugal

Hello, Popping Dale.

I had the same doubt some time ago.

According to the Oxford Dictionary the Definition of gadget is:

noun

• a small mechanical device or tool, especially an ingenious or novel one: a variety of kitchen gadgets

I know that I-Pod, I-Pad are considered gadgets...

So, apparently a computer shouldn �t be considered a gadget unless it is small or sophisticated...
Hope it helps!

29 May 2013     

libertybelle
United States

I don �t consider them gadgets - if so, then they sure are expensive ones!

Readers, tablets, i pads, laptops and stationary computers are more tools than gadgets.
A computer originally took the place of the typewriter and I never considered a typewriter as a gadget. Now a computer can do so much more - so I really don �t think of it as a gadget.

I also associate gadgets with something that is cheap, and those you listed are far from it.

Just my humble opinion!

29 May 2013     

spinney
United Kingdom

I agree with the above to a point. I wouldn �t class a PC or a laptop as gadgets but I would an ebook and a tablet. Mind you, I think Libertybell has a point in referring to them as tools. That �s going to bug me the rest of the day! Confused

29 May 2013     

yanogator
United States

Gadgets are definitely a kind of tool, but I agree with Libertybelle. Gadgets are usually fairly small and inexpensive, and usually useful for only one thing (or very few things).

Bruce

29 May 2013     

supermarketdragon
Spain

Hi,

I believe this query isn �t just a matter of right or wrong, but of opinion. Having said that, here �s my opinion. When I think of a computer I don �t think of it as a gadget.

So there you have it, five answers that all agree that a computer is a tool.

I still remember my sixth form teacher saying as he introduced us to Apple Mac computers back in 1991: "Remember, as designers you must think of these Macs as just another tool. The same as you would your markers or drawing pad."

29 May 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I agree a computer isn �t a gadget, which are small and used to be considered gimmicky. Supermarketdragon �s teacher gave excellent advice; alas, these days, computers rule the world. Wink

30 May 2013     

Zora
Canada

First of all, gadgets aren �t always cheap Wink... but in general computers are not usually considered a gadget. I guess they are too big or practical to be considered such a thing - although some webpages that sell gadgets and gizmos list them as �gadgets �.

My boyfriend is a huge gadget fan, here �s one of the pages he looks at so you can get an idea.

http://www.red5.co.uk/new-gadgets.aspx

30 May 2013