Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help me with vocabulary queries    

Help me with vocabulary queries

monder78
Poland

Help me with vocabulary queries

Hello fellow teachers I have been trying to look up certain words in my English language dictionary and unfortunately I have been unable to find the words. Here is the list of the words I am writing about : 1. how do you call a big � � fat circle � � around your stomach. In some countries it is referred to as someting to do with tyre I know the word starts muffin ... 2. does wedding house exist in English ? 3. does photoshopped photo exist ? 4. what �s the word for pouring or addidng something secretly into somebody else �s drink 5. a person who does everything the other way round Thx for your help. 2.

1 Jun 2013      

Jayho
Australia

Hi Monder

Here�s my two cents worth:

2. Not as far as I know.  Do you mean wedding reception venue / wedding venue?
3. Not sure - usually I say "it�s been photoshopped" or "photoshopped picture/image"
5. Not sure if there is a word but the description could be �back to front�. "He does everything back to front". See usage here.

Cheers

Jayho

Edit: I�ve never heard of muffin top but I just found an interesting article here written by a lady talking about her muffin top and spare tyre. Yes, as cunliffe says, beer belly (or beer gut) for men.

1 Jun 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

1. Spare tyre - also, muffin top. A muffin top is when the area immediately under the bust is fat. Spare tyres are a bit lower down. And for the male of the species - a beer belly. 
Also agree with Jayho for 2 and 4. Don �t know the others. 

Edit: No.5 - an awkward so and so. 

1 Jun 2013     

Sglass
Albania

1. Muffin top is when someone wears pants that are too tight and they have fat that hangs over the top of their pants.
2. Most people get married at a church, chapel, or at a courthouse.
3.? Not sure hat you are asking
4. Spiking or Ruffied ( this is a specific drug though)
5. Ass backward but this is a swear word. Not a term to be used at school or work but is ok at home.

1 Jun 2013     

PhilipR
Thailand

1. Spare tyre/tire
2. No, wedding house doesn �t exist
3. Grammatically okay but sounds awkward, I �d say photoshopped image or it was photoshopped
4. Spiked (add extra alcohol such as vodka) or roofied (add a sleeping drug in order to rob or rape the drinker)
5. A contrarian maybe?

1 Jun 2013     

monder78
Poland

Many thanks to all of you.Now I know what words I should use and not to sound weird. Have a nice Sunday.

2 Jun 2013