Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > grammatical questions    

grammatical questions

t.javanshir
Australia

grammatical questions

Dear friends,

I have a couple of questions concerning some grammatical points about which I am absolutely dubious. What would you say in these situations? and why?

1. a) I would never have bought the clothes, had I known they would shrink.
b) I never would have bought the clothes, had I known they would shrink.

In some books I have read the first is correct; in some native English conversations I have heard the second.

2. at letter endings or elsewhere, would you say: "I �ll be grateful" or "I �d be grateful", or would you say for example: "It would be OK if I went to your class tomorrow" or "It will be OK if I go to your class tomorrow"?

3. In a TOEFL book (Lognman, by Deborah Philips), it is written:

It should be noted that not all adjective clauses can appear in a reduced form. An adjective clause can appear in a reduced form only if the adjective clause connector is followed directly by a verb. In other words, an adjective clause can only be reduced if the connector is also a subject:

The woman that I just met is the tour guide. (does not reduce)
The letter which you sent me arrived yesterday. (does not reduce)

Is that right? I think I �ve heard the reduced forms like: "The woman I met . . ."

Thanks in advance

3 Jun 2013      

FrauSue
France

Hi there,

1. I feel that both a) and b) are fine - neither sounds odd to me. You may wish to say had I known that they were going to shrink, but "would" also sounds ok.

2. I would be grateful if ..
Start a question with a verb: Would it be ok if ...?

3. I think you can leave out the "that" or "which" in spoken English, but I �d keep it in written English.

Hope that helps!

3 Jun 2013     

Peter Hardy
Australia

#1 goes by intonation. The voice makes emphasis. Just try them both in several different ways, and you �ll hear. #2 yes, the �swap � of verb and pronoun: Would it be ok etc.? #3 I go with Mrs Sue: don�t say but do write. Cheers, Peter

3 Jun 2013     

t.javanshir
Australia

Wouldn �t we say: I �ll be grateful? since we are referring to future?

And for #2 I don�t mean a question. I mean an affirmative declarative statement: "It would be OK if I went to your class tomorrow." and "I�d be grateful."

Thanks Sue
Thanks Peter

3 Jun 2013     

Peter Hardy
Australia

In theory you �d say "I �ll be grateful", but in practice the "I �d be" is regarded as more polite. The way you state #2 it would be anything but a polite request aka question. Unless you �d add the tag question "Wouldn �t it?" I wouldn�t think of it as affirmative. Cheers. P

3 Jun 2013     

IbuLulu
Australia

I disagree ... it �s an uncertain condition - we don �t know if the person will do the favour, so we use �would �. The pragmatics involved are that we are careful not to assume that the other person will assist us - if we say �I will be grateful" we are assuming that they will help us, which seems impolite, so we phrase it in the second conditional - if you could do x for me I would be grateful.

3 Jun 2013     

Chesterfield
United Kingdom

BBC Learning English POV

Would be grateful is often useful when making written requests and it can also be used in conversation:
  • I would be grateful if you could / would send me further information and an application form in relation to the job advertised on page 6 of your publication � reference DS 112.
  • Would you like me to pop an application form in the post to you? ~ Yes, please. I�d be most grateful

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learnitv131.shtml

CF

3 Jun 2013     

t.javanshir
Australia

Thank you all for your kind responses.

Peter, suppose one of your colleagues has asked you to go to his class as a sub, and you �d like to say that it would be ok.

4 Jun 2013     

yanogator
United States

Then I would say, "It would be OK for me to go to your class". It is the "if I went" part that makes it a permission issue.

Bruce

4 Jun 2013     

t.javanshir
Australia

Thanks Bruce
Thanks everybody

5 Jun 2013