Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > is it correct?     

is it correct?

toandfro_
Poland

is it correct?

�As the quality of life, values and social expectations have evolved, so the concept of the American Dream has. �

Is the sentence gramatically correct? Or perhaps you �ve got some other suggestion to make the sentence sound better?

19 Jun 2013      

alexcure
Poland

It should be: " to make the sentence sound better?"

19 Jun 2013     

JoanneJoanne
Korea, South

How about:
�As the quality of life, values and social expectations have evolved, so too has the concept of the American Dream �.

19 Jun 2013     

maryse pey�
France

The quality of life, values and social expectations have evolved, so has the concept of American Dream.

or

The concept of American Dream has evolved because the quality of life, values and social expectations have yet

or

The concept of American Dream has evolved due to the evolution of the quality of life, values and social expactions.

19 Jun 2013     

yanogator
United States

@Maryse,
I don �t think there is any cause and effect relatiionship implied in the original. In your first example, you have two separate sentences, so there should be a period or a semi-colon before "so".

I agree with JoanneJoanne. It is good with or without "too".

Bruce

19 Jun 2013     

toandfro_
Poland

Thank you very much! It sounds much better indeed! 

19 Jun 2013     

maryse pey�
France

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your explanation. I would have never used "too" in such a sentence, not like that. As I would have never used the combination "as..., so...".

Yours friendly.

Maryse.

19 Jun 2013     

yanogator
United States

@maryse,
"As...so" is a fairly common construction. We have an old saying in national elections: "As Maine goes, so goes the nation".

Bruce

19 Jun 2013     

maryse pey�
France

Thanks Bruce,

something not to forget !

19 Jun 2013