Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Would you say:"Who with?"    

Would you say:"Who with?"

Jehanne18
France

Would you say:"Who with?"

Hello!
I am preparing a worksheet with key words to help students write about a given topic. I would like to know if there were some people with them, but I do not want to ask the whole question, so may I just write "who with?" meaning: "who were you with?" or "was someone with you?"
Do you think it is correct?
Thanks a lot in advance for your replies and explanations.

21 Jun 2013      

maryse pey�
France

Personally I would use the 1st sentence : "who were you with ?" but the 2nd is right too.

In the 1st case there might be some kind of suspicion or reproach "You are late ! Who were you with ?",

the 2nd is more neutral and completes previous explanations "Well, I was at the cinema." "Was someone with you ? (= someone who can confirm what you said).

Hope it may help.

21 Jun 2013     

yanogator
United States

Maryse gave good answers. I would like to add that you can only say "Who with?" if it is in the context of a conversation:

I went to a movie last night?
Oh, who with?

Outside of that, you need the whole question. Which question you use depends on the situation.
If you are asking about a particular time, you would use "Who were you with?"
    Who were you with last night?
    Who were you with when I saw you at the mall?  (because of the word "when")

If you are talking about a location/event, use "Who was with you?"
    You never go to movies alone. Who was with you last night?

If  you were with a group, then "Who were you with?" is more common, because you were a part of their group. If you were leading a group, though, that makes you more important in the sentence, so "Who was with you?" might be the better choice.

However, for your suggestion as a substitute for a general question, it won �t work.

I hope this isn �t TMI.

Bruce

21 Jun 2013     

Jehanne18
France

Ok! I see! Thanks a lot for your explanations, Maryse and Bruce!

22 Jun 2013