Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > 5 w ´s    

5 w ´s

qismat
Pakistan

5 w ´s

plz guide me why we call this group of words " where,when,what,who,why" as 5 W �S?

what is the rule and why we dont put WHOSE, WHICH & WHOM in this list

27 Jun 2013      

Zora
Canada

When I was in school we were told it was something you needed to do if you wanted to write well and informatively. You need to ask yourself before you start:

Why was it done/did it happen?
Who did it?
What happened / was done?
Where did it happen?
When did it happen?
and
How did it happen?

These questions can also be used to find the most important info in a text.

27 Jun 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

They all begin with w, so we call them the w words - as in the sound of the letter, not the name. I include whose, but not whom, because nobody uses that now. Apart from old sticklers like myself, when wanting to impress!

27 Jun 2013     

rafaella65
Italy

I quote Zora. It �s just the same for us in Italy. At school they teach us how to write an article always keeping in mind WHAT happened - WHO did it - WHERE it happened - WHEN it happened...WHY and HOW... we call them Wh- words plus Hw...

27 Jun 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes, it is wh words and there are some fantastic resources on here. 

27 Jun 2013     

yanogator
United States

The funny thing is that some people include "how", and still call them w words or wh words. I always call them question words.

Bruce

27 Jun 2013     

Jayho
Australia

These are the basics of many skills - I live by them and use them from the early years and upwards in writing, reading, speaking and listening - they are vital.

Books often call them wh/w words (because they all have w and h in them [even how]), question words or the 5 Ws and 1 H.

I use the phrase 5 wheels and a hub cap to help stds (esp. boys) to remember them and one std told me he was taught  to remember it by saying 5 wives and a husband. LOL

who - who is it about? (but I also include who did it, who did it belong to, who else was involved, who did it affect etc)
what - what is it about? what happened?
why - why did it happen? reason?
where - where did it happen? location?
when - when did it happen? time, date, year?
how - how did it happen? (but sometimes this is covered by some of the above)

Cheers

Jayho

27 Jun 2013     

qismat
Pakistan

thanks to u all

28 Jun 2013