Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Jobs Theme for Pre-Schoolers    

Jobs Theme for Pre-Schoolers

EstherLee76
Peru

Jobs Theme for Pre-Schoolers

OK,

I �m stumped.  I want to extend my Jobs/Community topic with my pre-schoolers for four more lessons but I �m complete uninspired and I can �t find anything useful on the net.

Can anyone point me in a good direction for getting some ideas?

Thanks so much!

Esther

30 Jun 2013      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

http://learnenglishkids.britishcouncil.org/en/songs/people-work
Have you looked here?

30 Jun 2013     

cukurova
Turkey

I worked in a kindergarten last year and I loved using the worksheets of �education.com �. I remember using paper dolls when I thought �jobs � topic. You can find different colorful materials there. Unfortunately, the site has been using using basic and premium membership system for some time (it was not the case last year) and you can download 10 worksheets per month if you are a basic member. Hope you will find it useful!

30 Jun 2013     

anitarobi
Croatia

Have you tried this song? My Mother is a Baker (Super Simple Songs) - I love that one and it �s so catchy, and you can have kids add lines with various jobs, and even add the topic of family members. Kids absolutely love that one. I always link mine to one of the characters from the course we �re currently doing, and then they like using the song to guess what his/her mother or father does... They can also then guess what their classmates � parents do for a living. 
As for community, I assume you�re also covering places in a city or various workplaces. My kids love playing the sorting out game - I place pictures of places (hospital, farm, zoo, fire station...) and in the centre we have people who forgot overslept and forgot where they have to go (rush hour syndrome) - so the kids and I rescue them. I pull out a card/word card of a job and they run to the proper place and place the �person� there (eg. doctor - hospital). If all goes well, you can also add vocabulary for equipment. You say �Who works with.... a fire engine? � The kids say �fire fighters!�, then you say �Who works with... scissors?� and they say �hairdresser� or �tailor�... Etc. They also love adding words such as dangerous - which jobs are dangerous?
I hope this helps a bit.
Anita

PS: If your group has covered simple directions, such as go left/right, go straight or stop, then you can play the city game so that you or a student is the doctor and they direct you to the hospital. They can even do that in groups for points.

30 Jun 2013     

EstherLee76
Peru

Wow!  Great suggestions. Those songs are catchy!  Very inspiring ideas.  I am going to check out that education.com website.

I can �t thank you enough, Anita, Sophia and Cukurova!

30 Jun 2013     

Pinky Makus
Canada

http://www.eslprintables.com/vocabulary_worksheets/jobs_occupations_professions/jobs_flashcards/a_z_flashcards_with_occupatio_102525/#thetop

30 Jun 2013     

Pinky Makus
Canada

Just sent two more links and they disappeared. I don �t know what happened.

30 Jun 2013     

evinches
France

How about working around jobs in cartoons for kids....Bob the Builder and Fireman Sam both come to mind but there are surely lots more. I �m afraid I �m not really up to date for that age group. Good luck anyway,
Esther

1 Jul 2013