Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Intensive English Classes    

Intensive English Classes

natalie-riccio
Russian Federation

Intensive English Classes

Hello, everybody! I am about to start teaching an intensive English course (each class will be 2 hours 15 minutes long). I have never taught such long classes, and I lack ideas how to make these conversation classes fun((( Please HELP!!!!!

1 Jul 2013      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Activities have to be definitely varied. 
Try mingling activities. Also you could use mingling activities like find someone who to group people for groupwork.
What age students will you have the classes with?
Maybe you �ll like these ideas

maybe some of these activities will be helpful as well

Sophia

1 Jul 2013     

anitarobi
Croatia

There are so many useful speaking activities here - just use the search engine for speaking cards, speaker motivators, role play cards etc. Plenty of things, trust me. 
Your choice does depend on the age and knowledge level of your students, and their goals and needs. That �s what you have to set first - what do they know? what do they want/like? and then you mix that with how old they are and how much they already know, and you get the perfect recipe for choosing good activities. There are also plenty of different speaking skills you can deal with - speeches, role play, debate, presentation, interviews, etc. 
First you have to give them the tools for the chosen topic - useful phrases and vocabulary (colorful paper, ppt, cards, worksheets, pictionaries). Then, it �s always good to use some kind of a �prop � - a short video clip, a motivational story, a poem, an everyday problem, a business situation (or school, if they �re kids), a good book/movie/song - to sort of light the spark and motivate people into speaking - to give them the desire to say sth. You can also provide a sample (video clip or you act the scene out with a volunteer), although that can be restricting in a way, because it steers them in a narrow direction sometimes. Then it �s up to you be the guide, but not to dominate. You have to correct, but not overcorrect - it stiffles their motivation. I like to finish with sth funny connected to a given topic - gives them sth �to take home � with them. 
Hope this helps a bit. Have fun - conversation drills can really be pleasant and useful.
Anita
edit: sorry if my suggestions overlap with Sophia�s - been writing at the same time;)

1 Jul 2013     

Macro
Brazil

I think you �re going to like it very much and you have a lot of ways to have fun with your students. You can work pairs conversation with your lessons topics by doing a back to back dictation and talk, or ever  make talking cards with the subjects of your lasson and ask your student to work in pairs and talk, or walk around asking anwering questions. Use our own lesson to plan a dynamic class with  cards, videos, ( do you know videos segments?)  Use songs, the students like songs very much, use dictations, running dictations, use  six questions or topics with dice. So try these you �re going to love your classes. Have you ever ask your students to read their parners hands, this is a very good activity.

1 Jul 2013     

pameladion24
Canada

Try to incorporate reading, writing, speaking in every class and plan a lot of projects. I teach intensive and have many activities made up. You can check out my printables.  

I usually separate my year into units. 
 All about me, family and house, My day, Christmas vacation, shopping, My town, Imaginary world, Travel, My future life.

Each unit has a variety of grammar, reading, speaking and a final writing project. 

If you need anything just let me know,

Naomi from Quebec, Canada

and also I use a lot of songs. Students love them!

1 Jul 2013     

natalie-riccio
Russian Federation

Thanks a lot, everybody! I find all these tips very helpful))))

1 Jul 2013     

flo84
France

Sophia, these links are very interesting. I will also use some of these ideas. Thanks a lot for sharing them. :)

2 Jul 2013     

Pinky Makus
Canada

Conversation Questions http://iteslj.org/questions/

2 Jul 2013