Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > New Word of the Day!    

New Word of the Day!

MoodyMoody
United States

New Word of the Day!

Thank you, mohamedthabet, for selecting me as the Word of the Day winner. (You were very busy this week; you had also won the Caption contest. Good work!) I apologize for the lack of formatting, but I can �t make paragraphs with this browser. So, on to the new Word of the Day: furciferous . Remember, give a plausible fake definition, not the real one! I �ll decide on a winner on the evening of 3 July server time. I look forward to seeing your definitions!

1 Jul 2013      

pameladion24
Canada

Don �t mess with me, I �m having a furciferous (bad fur)  day!

1 Jul 2013     

sarguero
Spain

Furciferous: A fur coat made of Lucifer �s skin that Linda Blair was wearing in the famous film  "The Exorcist".

1 Jul 2013     

anaram
Spain

Taboo word for �pimp�. It comes from Latin �ferre� (carry) and Spanish �furcia� (prostitute)

2 Jul 2013     

douglas
United States

It �s an adjective that describes the clothing/armor of early (iron age and beyond) warrior tribes/races like the stereotypical Vikings.

fur--containing fur/furry

ferrous--containing iron

"Arm yourselves! Yon comes a band of  men in furciferous garb--they are surely Norsemen come to rape and pillage!"

2 Jul 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

Douglas, you are absolutely right, no ignoring the meaning of words...
fur - hair covering the body of non humans
ferrous - containging iron

I don �t understand, however, how you - with your extensive knowledge - missed the obvious...

Iron Cat!!!

2 Jul 2013     

Jayho
Australia

It�s for golf of course, a fur cap for your favourite iron

2 Jul 2013