Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help!!! I need information about GERMANIC LANGUAGE (for English language history)    

help!!! I need information about GERMANIC LANGUAGE (for English language history)

peteruno
Peru

help!!! I need information about GERMANIC LANGUAGE (for English language history)

please help meeeeeeeeeeeeee...

16 Jul 2013      

MoodyMoody
United States

www.wordorigins.org is a website that has some interesting-looking links to other sites that might have some of the information that you �re looking for. I �d look especially under Etymology/Historical Linguistics/History of English and Medieval English (which also includes links for Old English).

I �m afraid I studied both history of English and history of German in pre-Internet days, so I don �t have those references anymore. However, as a quick overview of what I remember of philology, English is part of the Germanic branch of the Indo-European family of languages. It is historically a close relative of German and Dutch, although the closest living language relative of English is Frisian.

You can see the relationship most clearly in Old English, such as that of Beowulf. (If you want to see for yourself, I recommend Seamus Heaney �s translation. Old English is on even pages; his Modern English is on odd pages.) Modern English and Modern German, though, have very different grammars. This is a result of the occupation of England for many years by the French as a result of the Battle of Hastings in 1066. I have never seen any scholastic research about this, but it is my personal belief that the French occupation of England turned English into a creolized language, with simplified grammar. It also resulted in English having a heavily romanticized vocabulary. Even today, though, most of the very common words in English trace back to Germanic roots. I �ll just mention the Great Vowel Shift of the late 1500s and early 1600s in passing, since you �re more interested in earlier history.

Other contributors to this site may know more than I do.

16 Jul 2013     

maceman
Canada

Hello peteruno
You may find some valuable information concerning English language history  by following this link:
http://homes.chass.utoronto.ca/~cpercy/helhome.htm
Hope it helps you.

16 Jul 2013     

Matthew@ELSP
Japan

If you want to keep it light and fun but well researched and on topic......
Bill Bryson �s "Mother Tongue" book is a great read.
2nd hand copy will cost you perhaps 2 dollars from Amazon.

17 Jul 2013