Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help    

Help

RENZO
Peru

Help

Please, I would like you to help me. I have a doubt. Which one is correct? Why? He is one of the richest man in the world. or He is one of the richest men in the world. or He is one of the richest in the world Thanks a million for your answers. God bless you. Take care. Norma

19 Jul 2013      

omarengteacher
Peru

He is one of the richest men in the world.
because he is one (man) of the richest men (plural to use superlative)

even more, remember that if you only have 2 elements, you use comparative.

Bob and Ray are brothers. Bob is the younger. (and not the youngest, because you have just 2 elements)

See you

19 Jul 2013     

RENZO
Peru

so he is one of the richest in the world. Is this sentence correctP?

19 Jul 2013     

RENZO
Peru

He�s a very rich man. He�s one ______ in the world. Seleccione una: a. of the richest man b. of the richest c. of the richest men If I have the context above, the answer could be A. Thanks in advance for your help, your time. I am so worried. This is a headache. Take care. Norma

19 Jul 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

If the context establishes that richest applies to men (and not women, children, or sauces), then "one of the richest" is okay. So in your example question, you could use b or c. A is wrong because "one of the ____ " means that you are selecting one out of a group. You need to use the plural men, not man. I personally prefer answer c. It is unambiguously correct in any context.

19 Jul 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

He is one of the richest men in the world. This is the correct choice. You could also say, people. He is one of the richest people in the world. When rich lists are compiled, though, there generally is a list of the richest men and the richest women and they are separate.  

MoodyMoody, I think �He is one of the richest in the world � sounds odd. 

20 Jul 2013     

FrauSue
France

As mentioned above, "one of the richest" only works if we have previously established the parameters of the group. There are many wealthy men in the world, and he is one of the richest. Without any extra context, c) is the only possible answer.

20 Jul 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes, MoodyMoody is right - I didn �t read that closely enough. If the context has been set, as in your example, FrauSue, then one of the richest is OK. 

But here, the context hasn �t been set, so he is one of the richest men in the world is the best option. 

20 Jul 2013