Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Vocabulary to Understand Exercise Instructions    

Vocabulary to Understand Exercise Instructions

jangrill
Andorra

Vocabulary to Understand Exercise Instructions

Does anyone know any worksheet to work the language of exercise instructions? I find many of my students don �t understand the exercise instructions (match, complete, choose, etc.) and I can �t find any exercise online about it. 

Thanks for your help!

Joana

21 Jul 2013      

denise_calazans
Brazil

Hello, there!

If you type COMMANDS, you �ll find many things with instructions!!

I hope I �ve helped!

Have a great week!

22 Jul 2013     

jangrill
Andorra

Thanks Denise,

But I refer to the instructions in written exercises not to the language the teacher uses in class. I don �t really refer to orders but to the written language in exercises. I find many students who have difficulty understanding the instructions. 

Thanks anyway!!!

22 Jul 2013     

yanogator
United States

Joana,
It seems to me that the best way to cover this would be in the context of the exercises themselves. When I teach Algebra, I explain to my students that one of the hardest things in Algebra is knowing what you are supposed to do in a particular problem. When we do a particular kind of problem, I show them what the instructions are for this problem, as a prompt for how to work the problem.

When giving them an exercise, you could show them the layout of the exercise (A matching exercise looks a certain way, as do other kinds of exercises) and explain the "command" word and how it relates to that kind of exercise.

I hope this helps you,
Bruce

22 Jul 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I agree with this advice from Bruce. I �ve been thinking about this myself. Kids get in there to sit the exam, they �ve got a lot of knowledge, but they don �t quite get the question. I set off looking at the language of exams and concluded it just can �t be taught in isolation. You have to relate it to the topic matter in some way. 

Lynne

22 Jul 2013