Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How do you say this in English?    

How do you say this in English?

Jessisun
Argentina

How do you say this in English?

Hi, everyone! I need some help with a expression in English. Yesterday one of my students asked me how to say in English when a student decides not to go to school without their parents � knowledge; that �s to say when a student pretends to attend to class but s/he goes to somewhere else such to a shopping centre or to a ark or any other place and they go back home as if they had been at school. I hope you can help me with this!!! Thanks a lot!

24 Jul 2013      

mariontx
Guadeloupe

I think it �s "to play hooky."

24 Jul 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

the casual way to say this would be "to skip school/class" or "to play hooky/hookie" (but somehow that sounds a bit old fashioned, is it still used?) The more official term is �truancy � or to �be truant � hope this helps

24 Jul 2013     

alien boy
Japan

In Australia we�d commonly say �wag �.

i.e. I�m going to wag school tomorrow.
      I�ll be wagging maths this afternoon.

An English co worker said he�d most likely use �skip �.

i.e. He�s skipping school today.
      He�ll skip Science in 6th period.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
AB

24 Jul 2013     

Jessisun
Argentina

Thank you all of you for your replies!! They helped me a lot!!!

24 Jul 2013     

alex076
Italy

I thought it was "skive off school"
...is this expression wrong?
Thanks, 
Alex

24 Jul 2013     

alien boy
Japan

Hi Alex!

I�d forgetten all about skiving! I�m more used to using that in relation to work rather than school... but that could just be a difference in vernacular.

Cheers!

24 Jul 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

In the last school I was in, the kids used to �wag �. In the last but one, they used to �twag. � �Truant � is the correct form. �He �s truanting. � �Skip � would apply to one lesson rather than a whole day. I haven �t heard �skiving off school � but kids use �skive � all the time for internal truanting i.e. missing a lesson here and there. 

25 Jul 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

Like most kids in Glasgow, I used to use �doggin� it�* for truanting. It�s still used, but when I started teaching further along the west coast of Scotland, I was hearing �skidging� a lot. At various times, I�ve also heard - usually from colleagues from other parts of the country - �plunking (off)�, �bunking (off)�, �skiving (off)� and a few obscure others which escape me at the moment.

*get your mind out of the gutter (you know who you are Smile)

25 Jul 2013     

joy2bill
Australia

There �s also the expression " bunking" or "doing a bunk" to mean skiving or wagging.

25 Jul 2013     

Sarah B
Austria

to play truant

25 Jul 2013     

1    2    Next >