Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Please help me!    

Please help me!

hanni176
Vietnam

Please help me!

Could you help me with this sentence:
"Why (you /run) ...........................when I  (see) you ...........................the other day?"
-

We (arrive) ........................... at the party when everybody (leave). ........................... I think the answer is : were running - saw. If you have another answer, can you explain why? Thanks

B.

26 Jul 2013      

andang
Indonesia

I think the answer is:
Why did you run when I saw you the other day?
We arrived at the party when everybody left.
Reason: one action is a consequence of the other action.

I hope it helps.

26 Jul 2013     

korova-daisy
Russian Federation

1/ were running, saw

2/ arrived, had left

26 Jul 2013     

maryro1173
Argentina

1- were running / saw or ran / saw are both ok, it depends in what you want to express (depends on the context) 1st option means the person was already running when the 2nd saw him/her. second option the 1st person starts to run when sees the 2nd. 2- arrived / had left.

26 Jul 2013     

nancym
Suriname

I think it �s supposed to be:

1. did you run / saw, both actions are in the past.

2. arrived � had left, both are also in the past, but in this sentence the action that happened first must be in the past perfect tense.

26 Jul 2013     

nancym
Suriname

I think it �s supposed to be:

1. did you run / saw, both actions are in the past.

2. arrived � had left, both are also in the past, but in this sentence the action that happened first must be in the past perfect tense.

26 Jul 2013     

monder78
Poland

1.were you running ,saw 2. arrived , had left

26 Jul 2013     

Zora
Canada

Actually, the most natural response is -did you run when I saw you. The other one is not very clear and slightly unnatural sounding even though it �s grammatically correct. The �unnaturalness � is because of the verb choice �run �. You need to specify a bit more like �Why were you running away, running from me, running in the park, etc... otherwise it just is a very strange thing to ask unless there is other context surrounding the sentence that we don �t know about.

26 Jul 2013     

Jessisun
Argentina

hi! for the fisr sentence I �d say: �were you  running! I saw you �.for the second one, I �d say: �we arrived at the party when everybody had already left � I hope this would help you!

26 Jul 2013     

Apodo
Australia

Why were you running when I saw you the other day?

If you say: Why did you run, it implies you ran because of the viewer.

You can also say: We arrived at the party when everybody was leaving. This sounds better to me as after they left would be very late indeed.

27 Jul 2013