Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need your advice!    

I need your advice!

lissikomi
Русскl

I need your advice!

What �s the difference between
Mr.
Ms. 
Miss 
Mrs.?

28 Jul 2013      

Abbes_Z
Morocco

These are all titles that are used before a family name / surname:

Mr. [mister] used for a man.

Miss. [mis] used for an unmarried woman.

Mrs. [misiz] used for a married woman.

Ms. [miz] used for a woman whether she is married or not. Often used by a woman who does not want to let people know about her status, or when we do not know.

I hope this helps.. Smile

28 Jul 2013     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi Lissikomi! I was thought like this: Mr. (abbreviation) to address a man, whether married, single, etc. Mrs. (abbreviation) to address a married woman. Miss (abbreviation) to address a woman who is single. Ms. (abbreviation) - now more common than the other two: Mrs/Miss - to address a woman regardless her marital status. I hope I am right, if not I am sure native speakers will enlightened us. ascincoquinas.

28 Jul 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Abbes has nailed this. Just a point - Ms can be used by feminists who object to Miss or Mrs - why should your title reveal your marital status when Mr doesn �t? I used this title in the 1980s but now I call myself Mrs and I notice that Ms isn �t very common at all in England. I know only one Ms and she is American. 

28 Jul 2013     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

thanks for the explanation Cunliffe! Glad natives are around!!!

28 Jul 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Not for much longer, in my case. I �m off to Italy tomorrow. Wish I could stay there ....

28 Jul 2013     

mariannina
Italy

Lynne, are you really coming to Italy?Where? Is it far from Rome? Here with me there is Nancy (Giovanni) with a friend of hers and if you are nearby we could meet. What do you think?
Ciao.
Mariannina

28 Jul 2013     

carlymloveland
Korea, South

Sometimes Ms. is also used for divorced women who may still want to go by their ex-husband �s name but do not wish to use Mrs. because it implies they are still married. 

29 Jul 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Mariannina, you are so kind. Im in Mantova for three days and then Asolo near Vicenza for three days. Hubby is with me, so I wont be able to get as far as Rome this time. I will come to Terracina one day as it looks for beautiful and how nice it will be to meet you. i will post some pictures on the cafe when I get back. Apologies about punctuation, this is a tiny little tablet and I cant see the apostrophe. Tanti auguri da Lina x

29 Jul 2013     

yanogator
United States

One small note.

Ms was originally written without a period, because it is not an actual abbreviation. These days, however, most people use a period.

Bruce

29 Jul 2013