Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > degree vs diploma    

degree vs diploma

NanG
Argentina

degree vs diploma

Hi everyone!

Could you explain to me the difference between a degree and a diploma?

Is degree reffered to University and diploma to High School/Secondary School?

And, BTW, if I want to reffer to a "Bachiler T�cnico Contable" in English ( what you get when you finish your Secondary School), is it right to say Certified Bookkeeper Bachiller?

I �m a bit confused Confused !

I �ll be grateful for your help!!

Thanks!

30 Jul 2013      

MoodyMoody
United States

A degree is a designation colleges and universities award students when they complete a course of study. AA is an Associates degree, usually requiring two years of study. BA or BS is a Bachelors degree, usually for four or five years of study. MA, MS, MBA, MFA, etc., are Masters degrees and are awarded for an additional two or three years beyond a Bachelors degree. Ph.Ds are awarded for additional study with an original research project and write-up, the dreaded dissertation. MD is a physician �s degree, and JD is a lawyer �s degree. They too require additional education beyond a Bachelors degree.

A diploma is the document showing that someone completed a course of education, usually beginning at the high school level.

I hope this helps.

31 Jul 2013     

NanG
Argentina

Thanks !

1 Aug 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

I �m not sure exactly what "Bachiler T�chnico Contable" is. If you mean "Certified Public Accountant," that requires a Bachelors degree and passing a licensing test in accounting. Usually a bookkeeper has less education, such as an Associates degree or maybe just a class or two on the subject.

1 Aug 2013