Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > at night, by night, in the night, during night, over night, through night    

at night, by night, in the night, during night, over night, through night

monder78
Poland

at night, by night, in the night, during night, over night, through night

at,night, by night, in the night, during night, over night, through night Hello dear fellow teachers In the first place I �d like to share 3 websites with you.Perhaps some of you are already familiar with them. You may find loads of useful advice there : http://english.stackexchange.com www.englishforums.com http://engleash.net As I am not a native speaker of the English language I am more than a bit confused about the usage of different prepositions with the noun night. I �ve come across the following options : at night, by night, in the night, during night , over night, through night. I �ve found some information on the Net. Do they also refer to day ? Somebody wrote that by night is used if we compare an activity with another activity done by day ,eg. Some animals are active by night ( whereas others by day) You should see London by night Somebody else said by night is poetic in tone, it is formal and mainly seen on postcards. gleam of stars by night glow of the moon by night Does in the night equal to during the night and if they are replaced the meaning stays the same ? Another person wrote by night can almost always be replaced with at night but not the other way round. Is it true ? Would you kindly illustrate it with an example ? How about the 2 sentences : I work at night ( I heard it is a short period of time , for example he works only a few hours at night) Now let �s deal with this one : He works in the night (somebody stated that it means he works almost all night ) What about over night and through night ? I saw overnight, eg Mr Thompson was robbed overnight Can we replace overnight with any of the above listed prepositions. Does in night without the definite article exist at all ? Many thanks for your advice. Hugs

5 Aug 2013      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hello Monder, this might be helpful.

5 Aug 2013     

monder78
Poland

Thank you for the link.I am already familiar with the explanations given on different websites. I got a really a very useful and clear explanation from MOODYMOODY. Once again many thanks MM :)

6 Aug 2013