Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What would you do in this situation?    

What would you do in this situation?

carinita
Argentina

What would you do in this situation?

In August 2012 I took a position to teach English to three courses at a certain school. Some students (at the fifth course) are difficult to get along with.  They�ve been hard since I met them.

At the beginning of this year, their head teacher told me that the previous year the group was unsatisfied with a teacher and they harassed him until he quit. (He wasn�t a teacher really. He didn�t have a degree.)

The atmosphere has been tense since March (beginning of the school year) Eight of twelve students do classwork. The other four student only work when they are willing to.

Last Thursday, a video lesson couldn�t be finished because the classroom wasn�t dark enough and because I spent some time arguing with the students. They said they should see the whole movie not just some segments. I�m really tired of their attempts to take control.sWhen the time of the lesson finished, I had to carry the projector back to the library because nobody was willing to collaborate.

My next lesson is on Tuesday. I�ve already booked the projector so that we can finish what we started last Thursday. However� what should I do if they aren�t willing to fetch the projector and some clothes to cover the window panels? Should I give them a test I had announced previously? Will I manage to survive until November so that I can keep the post?

Thank you!. 

P.S The above mentioned students are 16/ 17 year old

18 Aug 2013      

redpond
Philippines

Perhaps (if possible) you could ask a few suggestions from your students on how they would like the lessons be presented to them, hopefully something with less strain on your part (minus the carrying of projector, etc.). It might also help to take some time to get to know your students after class, or at least let them know that you are available to further help them out on lesson/s discussed should any of them be too embarrassed to ask during class.
As you may already know, people don �t care to know what you know until they know you (really) care. (^_^) Hope this helps.

18 Aug 2013     

tashaleks
Spain

It �s a really tough one and I don �t envy you.

Maybe you could draft a contract where students in pairs suggest a �rule. � If there are twelve students, you also put six rules into the contract. You have the final say, obviously.

It sounds like they are there because they have to be and don �t see why they need to learn English. So maybe if you show them videos of good role models who speak English and/or other success stories that might inspire them.

Tell them about your life, so they see that you are just a normal person as well as a teacher and not someone who deserves to be bullied.

Remind them of things they have done well/achievements etc because sometimes bad behaviour is directly linked to self esteem issues.

If there is a ring leader, have a private chat with him/her.

Make the lessons as fun as possible, obviously.

Hope this issue gets resolved!
Big hugs from Spain xxx

19 Aug 2013     

Doot
Canada

Sometimes you just have to give them a choice. We can cooperate and watch videos clips on the projector if students are willing to cooperate and help, or we can work on grammar worksheets.  I have also had to have a chat with some students telling them that I will not be bullied by them. And sometimes it �s just a rotten bunch together and you survive the easiest way possible until the end of the year.  Hang in there!

19 Aug 2013     

maryano30
Peru

Hi, Carinita! I suppose You teach in a private school because this problem is dificult to have in a public school. I work with teenagers. I don �t permit that behaviour if there is a problem I talk to them inmediately or I go out of the class with the student is doing problems in my class and I talk to him/her. This is a suggestion. Keep calm! A warm hug!

19 Aug 2013     

carinita
Argentina

Hello! Thanks for your help. About talking to disruptive students outside class, I have a little problem. I commute to work there so I arrive to school, deliver lessons, have a break of 10 minutes (it �s not usually a break since there�s a lot of paperwork to do) deliver lessons and then I leave. I never meet those students in a peaceful context.

Doot: When you say you tell the students you will not be bullied by them  What do you mean? Is it that even if they continue bullying you won�t abandon your job or the way you do things in the classroom?

19 Aug 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

This is a hard one. My students are a little bit younger - 11-15, and if there is the slightest chance of watching a video, they would go to the ends of the earth for a projector. Your lot are just a bit older, but that little bit makes a lot of difference. They are more like young adults. At that age, all you can do is level with them. Tell them you really want them to have the chance to watch the video, but the deal is they have to be supportive. They have to bring the projector and return it. Are there any boys? Maybe ignore them and appeal to the girls in the first instance. On how much of the video to watch, say that whereas you are the teacher, you will compromise. If they stick to their side of the deal - sorting equipment and being polite - they can watch some extra clips. Talk a lot about �the deal � - the idea that if they are fair, you will be fair, but it has to be both ways. 
If they won �t agree, you will have to scrap the video lesson and deliver the test. Or say something like �I have said this and as a teacher, I have to stick to my word, or I �ll lose respect from you guys and I �m not risking that. But I don �t want to punish you, instead of a test, we can read a story � (or something else..). If they are at all reasonable (teachable?), if you are relentlessly positive, they will come round. That �s the theory, anyway.... No magic wand, I �m afraid.
One last point: don�t argue with them. Give them a choice and stick to what you have threatened, if it comes to it. 

19 Aug 2013     

carinita
Argentina

Thank you Lynne

19 Aug 2013     

dutchboydvh
Singapore

What kind of support are you getting from your superiors? What is your school �s policy on disciplining students?

When students behave badly, I generally give them the option of behaving properly, or leaving the classroom (going to the principal�s office/or other place for more discipline, as arguing with them in class merely wastes the classes� time.). I remind them that my job is to teach, theirs is to learn. If their behaviour is getting in the way of others� learning, they should get out, so the class can get on with it. I would warn the principal or whomever that this will be happening, so they know ahead of time. Or, I�ll give them a quick call on my hand-phone to fill them in on the details, after the student leaves. The consequences for the student are, first, they are embarrassed, and not enjoying the attention of their fellow students. Next, if they are not in the class, they don �t get passing grades, or even pass the class. If they don �t pass, their parents are called, they lose their student visa, etc. As i �m the teacher, I make the rules.

That being said, that �s the last resort, as there are other ways to get kids to behave properly. Give them choices. They then get the feeling of having some control, but in the end, the choices you are giving them are yours. You are still in control. Take their suggestions to heart, but remind them that you have a lesson plan to follow and a schedule to maintain. If they are making sense, then by all means make a change, but if they are merely trying to bully you, continue on with the lesson. They will grumble, but just keep on going. Then if you have to, pick out the ring leader and use the previously mentioned method to deal with them. Once you have that example set, the others will not want this to happen to them and will usually fall into line. If not, send another out... and so on. It�s not much fun, but it sounds like this is a class from hell right now anyway. Better to suffer through a few days of stress and get things back under control, then to continue on like it is now.

It sounds to me as if this group has gotten good at bullying teachers. Check out this book, as it has many good ideas on teaching, and dealing with discipline problems.

The Reluctant Disciplinarian http://www.amazon.com/Reluctant-Disciplinarian-Management-Eventually-Successful/dp/1936162156

Hang in there! Hold your ground, be consistent, set rules and follow through on concequences... and things will get better.

19 Aug 2013     

ELOJOLIE274
France

my advice: don �t make empty threats... if they misbehaved and you told them they will be punished (with a test...) do it, otherwise next time they will remember that you said they would get punished but in the end nothing happened... it �s a rule you can apply to kids, teenagers or adults likewise, especially when they don �t respect you - and according to what I read, they don �t...
they will be mad but in the end they will know that you have the guts to do what you promise, and learn that good behavior is rewarded but bad behavior is not acceptable...

20 Aug 2013     

tashaleks
Spain

How did it go yesterday Carinita?

20 Aug 2013