Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Foreign kids in the US    

Foreign kids in the US

izulia
China

Foreign kids in the US

Hello,
My Chinese student has just returned from the US. She and other students from her group spent some time with local families. 
Now she needs to write about her experiences. She wrote "I spent 5 days in a stay at home house." I don �t think it �s right to call the place "stay at home house" but I can �t think of any other name for a place like that, unless I say " I stayed in a local family �s house". 
Is this right or could you come up with another word for such a place? 
Thank you.

20 Aug 2013      

dutchboydvh
Singapore

Stayed at/in a local family �s house sounds right. Or you could say stayed with a local family, in their home.

20 Aug 2013     

mandalynn2104
Maldives

We usually call that a "home-stay."

20 Aug 2013     

douglas
United States

I agree with Dutchboy.

"I stayed with a local family"

I have never heard it referred to as a "home-stay" or "stay at home house" (I suspect this may be a direct translation from an Asian term).

21 Aug 2013     

joy2bill
Australia

Down under our students stay in "homestay". This is usually a family or a couple who provide breakfast, dinner and a bed for international students. The people are referred to as �my homestay mum � or �homestay dad �.
So students would write "I enjoyed five days homestay" or "I spent five days in homestay with a friendly family of four children and a dog." (just an example)
We also use the expression �share-mate � which I think is "Japenglish". This is when people are sharing an apartment.

21 Aug 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Yes Joy, that �s exactly what we call it here. In fact, we have a website that soley caters for homestay students and hosts here. Douglas, you may be interested to learn that it is affiliated with the American Homestay network here.
Plus, the Macmillan online dictionary has a definition of homestay and it is the same for both the American and British definition.  And the Oxford online dictionary also has a definition. So I guess this is probably quite an appropriate word given that it is in both American and British dictionaries.

Cheers

Jayho

21 Aug 2013     

izulia
China

Thank you, guys for your help! You are awesome as always! 

By the way, I only heard the word "homestay" in a "homestay mum or dad" context referring to parents who do not have jobs and look after their own children. Is it the same in your parts of the world? 

21 Aug 2013     

Jayho
Australia

A stay-at- home parent/mother(mum)/father(dad) is the current politically correct lingo in Oz.  It used to be housewife/house husband but those are no longer politically correct.

Cheers

Jayho

21 Aug 2013