Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > sloth coloring pages (discipline/punishment)     

sloth coloring pages (discipline/punishment)

GrammerTeacher
United States

sloth coloring pages (discipline/punishment)

i think that because my students have been on their phones WAY too much behind my back, i need to punish them, like cunnlife said. so, what i am thinking to do, (i want you guys to tell me if this is a good idea) is make my students do coloring pages on sloths.  do any of you fellow teachers know any good coloring sheets about sloths?
thanks!!! :)Thumbs Up

23 Aug 2013      

SaraMariam
United States

13 years old - coloring pages - I don �t really think that �s a punishment. If I imagine telling my kids that, they will laugh and probably go for it so they can color :p. Lynn �s (cunliffe) proposals are good, I think. Take their phones, make them do things they dont like, if they overstep.

One teacher I know, had a box at the entrance of the classroom and the kids had to put their cellphones in the box when they came in. And they took them back when the lesson was over and they were leaving the classroom.

I remember somebody else tried another method. I can �t remember if it was a teacher here. But he actually used the phones of the kids to teach. Like with messages, researching on the internet by phone etc.

My personal experience is, if you find the "trigger" of the kids, they will leave their cellphones and everything else in their pockets, become interested in the school subject and listen to what you say (some more some less). Find things that interest them. I work a lot with videos, for example, and the kids love it. Or I work with real youth magazines .. something that makes them realize that English is a language that you actually use and speak in real life. Penfriends are also a good idea to get them interested in the language, I think.
That along with taking phones and consequences for breaking the rule ...
Plus, it is important that you show them the consequences. It won �t work if you say "I count to 3, if you don �t stop it, then ...", but after 3 nothing happens, shows the kids that you are not consequent and hence respect you less. So be firm in the consequences as well.

23 Aug 2013     

GrammerTeacher
United States

ok thanks i will be sure to try it. but, are you sure the coloring sheets wont work? im not that experienced, so I don �t quiet know the ropes.

23 Aug 2013     

dutchboydvh
Singapore

I agree with Sarah. I let the students know that phones are not allowed in class. In their bag, or pocket is OK. But their ringer is turned off. If there is an emergency (and this is often their excuse)their parent or guardian should call the school not the child. IF someone is just reminding them to do something, or asking a favour, they can send the student a text, which they can read after class, or at the break if you take one. Let them know from the start what the consequences will be.

The natural consequence to using a phone in class, is to lose the phone, not to be punished by colouring. I have a box on my desk. If I catch them with the phone out, I give them one reminder, then if out again, I take it away and put it in the box. For the next week they have to put their phone in the box when they come in the room. After a week, I give them another chance to keep it on their person. But after two strikes, the student has to use the box for the rest of the year/term.

If everyone is good for a week, and I see no phones out, maybe have a lesson on the following Monday, where they can use their phones and do an internet scavenger hunt. Thereby having fun, and teaching them researching skills.

One of the biggest problems I had was students using their phone to cheat on tests. I would tell them once to put it away. Warn them If I saw it again, I would take the test away, give them a zero, and send them out. If I saw it again, I would follow through on the consequence. As I was teaching at an international school, the students had class with me for 3 hours a day, 5 days a week. So when they weren �t in my class, they were usually at home. If your school is different, you can make them sit there until the end of the class, with nothing to do.

The important thing is to set the rules, and inform them of the consequences, (both positive and negative) then make sure you follow through. If not, they will walk all over you. Best of luck.

23 Aug 2013     

Doot
Canada

I allow the students to use their phones for translations or word meanings. All else is not allowed. Sometimes they will still misuse them and then I have the respect talk with them. For the most part when students re engaged in learning and they respect you it often isn �t that big of an issue. I agree , forget the colouring sheets. The punishment has nothing to do with the crime. 

24 Aug 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Colouring in sloths is an excellent activity, GrammerTeacher. Don�t be put off! Colouring in polar bears and unicorns are also activities which are not to be sniffed at.  

Not to be sniffed at = shouldn�t be haughtily overlooked/should be given due consideration. 

(only white unicorns, mind)

24 Aug 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

lynne LOL
Personally I recommend coloring pages of unicorns drinking straight from a coffee pot (or was it cauffee pot?)

Oh, grammer techer, maybe this will help:
google - images - sloth coloring pages...I got plenty (cell phone abusers beware!)

24 Aug 2013