Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How do you call in English a person who???    

How do you call in English a person who???

Jessisun
Argentina

How do you call in English a person who???

Hi, everyone!Yesterday one of my students said that she spent a lot of money last weekend. She said she always spends a lot of money buying lots of things, an sometimes unnecessary things.Now, how do call the people who spend lots of money??? Is there a word for women and other word for men? and any other term in general to call these people??? Thanks a lot!!! Have a nice weekend! Big smile

23 Aug 2013      

dutchboydvh
Singapore

Shopaholic... one who is addicted to shopping. It works for both men and women.

23 Aug 2013     

alex076
Italy

Hi! :-)
Shopaholic is perfect...but I think SPENDTHRIFT is correct, too.
Native speakers, what do you think?
Hugs,
Alex

23 Aug 2013     

dutchboydvh
Singapore

LOL thanks Alex...

but i think of a spendthrift as someone who doesn �t like to spend money. The opposite of a shopaholic.

OOPS... I looked it up... you are right! LOL Very strange, as thrifty is one who is cheap, or frugal. Hmmmm.... I �m just confused now. LOL

23 Aug 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Spendthrift is someone who spends a lot, but I haven �t heard it for ages. Shopoholic as Alex says, is perfect. �Shop till you drop � is their mantra.

Edit: also, big spender. 

24 Aug 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

also, if you want an expression to describe such a shopaholic in action, you could say "she �s on a shopping spree"

Sophia

24 Aug 2013     

carinaluc
Argentina

You can also use the expression "born to shop".  I �ve been called that way!!

24 Aug 2013     

Jayho
Australia

In my neck of the woods a female is usually a shopaholic. For a male we sometimes say that his money burns a hole in his pocket (see here) .  
For me, well,  

24 Aug 2013     

Jessisun
Argentina

Thank YOU so much for enlarging my vocabulary, people!!!! Wink

24 Aug 2013     

frere
Albania

Interesting thread. I despair of LOL on every forum and message board these days. If we are literate enough to be [native speaker, thus well paid] teachers we should be able to muster a little originality and avoid exclamation marks, LOL or repeatedly saying "like" without reason.

One vote for "SPENDTHRIFT"

24 Aug 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

When my wife and her friends �need� to go shopping, they prefer to call it �retail therapy�.

By the way, frere, have a look at these:

John McWhorter on LOL (there �s a link to his TED talk which is well worth watching): http://blog.ted.com/2012/07/11/lol-is-its-own-language-qa-with-john-mcwhorter/

25 Aug 2013     

1    2    Next >