Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > sloths    

sloths

jarek2011
Poland

sloths

hello everyone,

the other day a new thread was started on punishing students by making them colour in sloths.

I wonder why sloths? I mean, it sounds a bit silly... Is this punishment effective?

Take a look at the thread:

http://eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=42569

6 Sep 2013      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Jarek. This punishment is only effective where the pupils are SLOTHLIKE. If the pupils are like cheeky monkeys, or sly, slippery snakes, then THAT should be the punishment. When I was at school, I was as stubborn as a donkey. The teacher made me bray, just like a donkey, instead of talking and after a week of braying, I was fully cured. Wink
donkey animation

6 Sep 2013     

jarek2011
Poland

thank you for your explanation cunliffe. I have never thought of applying that kind of punishment but maybe I will administer it one day. haha

6 Sep 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

"Sloth" is not just the animal; it is also a synonym for laziness. From Dante �s seven deadly sins, acedia is translated into English as sloth.

6 Sep 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Slothful means slow and listless - check out the youtube clip Marion has posted on the link that Jarek has given. Comparing people to donkeys/mules means they are stubborn. Check out this link of idioms - I wonder what animal idioms there are in other languages?

Lynne

(Thanks to GrammerTeacher for raising this topic.)

7 Sep 2013     

GrammerTeacher
United States

your welcome cunnlife also do you think you can make a sloth ppt for me?

10 Sep 2013