Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help pliz    

Help pliz

Mini9
Peru

Help pliz

about question tags:
Am I right, aren �t I?   
I am going to the beach, am not I or aren �t I?
I am not going to the beach, am I / are I?
Let �s not go there, shall not we?

12 Sep 2013      

korova-daisy
Russian Federation

I am right, aren �t I?

I am going to the beach, aren �t I?

I am not going to the beach, am I?

Let �s not go there, shall we?

12 Sep 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

The problem is that English doesn �t have a standard contraction of "am not." It would have been "ain �t," but that was so overused and abused that grammarians deemed it incorrect. So, there �s no good solution to the problem of tag questions for affirmative first person singular sentences. If the situation is more formal, go with "I am going to the beach, am I not?" If it is more casual, go with korova-daisy �s "aren �t I?" Better yet, avoid the construction if at all possible, and don �t use it for questions for your class. I do 100% agree with korova-daisy �s last two answers, though.

13 Sep 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Aren �t I? doesn �t present any problems in England; that is the correct tag.  Ain �t I isn �t English, it �s American and slang. Am I not? is rarely used. If it is used, then it �s maybe ironically, e.g. I am the best thing to happen to you in a long time, am I not???

Edit: Am I right, aren�t I? is odd. This is fine: I�m right, aren�t I? Am I right? is already a question.

13 Sep 2013     

manuelanunes3
Portugal

Just a question

Are the forms: "shan �t I" and the word "thrice" still in use?

Thank you
Best regards from sunny Portugal
Manuela

13 Sep 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

No Manuela - they aren �t. Thrice always brings to mind �Macbeth �, but I can �t remember the exact quote just now. Shall is used of course, but shan �t is old-fashioned and wouldn �t be used in a question. Shan �t! brings to mind a naughty little girl, stamping her foot, but once again, I don �t know why. Ah well, it is the end of a hard week!

13 Sep 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

I don �t know that "ain �t" is specifically American, Lynne, but it is certainly not standard English anywhere. "Aren �t I" just grates on my nerves. I understand that it �s acceptable in casual conversation, but I still don �t like it. "Am I not" is quite formal; I didn �t know about the ironic usage.

"Shan �t" is never used in the USA; most Americans would look at you blankly if you said it. But then, "shall" itself is becoming rarely used as well. "Thrice" is definitely on its way out, as well. Lynne, maybe your idea comes from The Secret Garden, by Francis Hodgson Burnett. I think Mary Lennox said "I shan �t" several times in that book.

13 Sep 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

http://www.englishclub.com/grammar/verbs-questions-tag-special.htm

13 Sep 2013     

Mini9
Peru

Thank you so much for your help

14 Sep 2013