Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > sausage    

sausage

jarek2011
Poland

sausage

I want to ask you about one thing. What do you call an action of cooking a sausage over a fire (bonfire)? Cooking? Roasting? Grilling? Barbecuing?
What I mean is that you cook a sausage that is held over a fire on a wooden stick or barbecue fork but you do not use a metal frame on which you can place the sausage.

16 Sep 2013      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

cook/roast a sausage kebab over an open fire? (smells great:)

16 Sep 2013     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I agree that cook or roast is what we would say.

An example from the Bible: "12 The Lord said to Moses and Aaron in Egypt, �This month is to be for you the first month, the first month of your year. Tell the whole community of Israel that on the tenth day of this month each man is to take a lamb[a] for his family, one for each household. If any household is too small for a whole lamb, they must share one with their nearest neighbor, having taken into account the number of people there are. You are to determine the amount of lamb needed in accordance with what each person will eat. The animals you choose must be year-old males without defect, and you may take them from the sheep or the goats. Take care of them until the fourteenth day of the month, when all the members of the community of Israel must slaughter them at twilight. Then they are to take some of the blood and put it on the sides and tops of the doorframes of the houses where they eat the lambs. That same night they are to eat the meat roasted over the fire, along with bitter herbs, and bread made without yeast. Do not eat the meat raw or boiled in water, but roast it over a fire�with the head, legs and internal organs. 10 Do not leave any of it till morning; if some is left till morning, you must burn it. 11 This is how you are to eat it: with your cloak tucked into your belt, your sandals on your feet and your staff in your hand. Eat it in haste; it is the Lord�s Passover."

16 Sep 2013     

Doot
Canada

We say in Canada that we are having a Wiener roast or we are roasting marshmellows.

16 Sep 2013     

jarek2011
Poland

thank you very much for your invaluable help!

17 Sep 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

@redcamaro cruiser
I must admit, I have heard people quoting the bible to justify all kinds of things but this is the first time I see someone use it to justify the choice of verbs in English!

Come to think of it...if that was the only thing people people justified by quoting the bible, the world might be a better placeWink, at least my part of the world would be...

Marion (from Jerusalem)

17 Sep 2013     

dutchboydvh
Singapore

Amen Marion... Amen.

17 Sep 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Roasting.
Ditto marion and Dutchboy

17 Sep 2013     

douglas