Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How many writing genre should i teach per year?    

How many writing genre should i teach per year?

caren_630
Egypt

How many writing genre should i teach per year?

I am teaching 11 years old upper elementary students this year (grade 6). They are intermediate English Learners. My question is: how many writing genre should I teach per year? We have two mid-term exams per year + mid year exam and the final. How many writing genre should I examine them per exam?

I used to teach writing informal letter for the first mid-term exam, descriptive essay for mid-year exam, story for the 2nd mid-term and argumentative essay for the final examination. I examine them in just one type of writing. Some colleagues think it is not right to just examine them in one topic per exam. They believe that students by the end of the year should do a test and expect any of the four different types of writing. I just wonder what is the best and the right amount to teach? Am I on the right track or do I need to reconsider the amount of writing I am teaching?

Another question for the American grade six teacher, what are the writing genre you teach your grade six students and how many writing topic do you examine them per exam?

17 Sep 2013      

essam35
Egypt

I would recommend 2 to 3 per term  I think you are doing great but it depends on their level and abilities I think u could  examine 1 or 2 writing topics not more than this, actually u could examine 2 if u prepare them for both topics but examined 1.

story telling      for against     letter     e-mail

17 Sep 2013     

rommaya
Egypt

I teach grade six personal narrative, narrative, descriptive and and persuasive. A genre each quarter, and three topics each quarter. The topic they write about in the exam is always new for they are trained to use the techniques to handle any topic.  

18 Sep 2013