Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help with the meaning of an idiom.    

Help with the meaning of an idiom.

Jessisun
Argentina

Help with the meaning of an idiom.

Hello, everyone!!! Last week my adult students watched a video to learn idioms using the word �dog �. I �m using the videro of �the Teacher � from the BBC Learning Englsih webpage. There �s an idiom that is presented there that is �the hair of the dog � and the explanation in the video says that :  �In English, some people say if you feel bad after drinking too much the night before you should have the hair of the dog. It means a little bit of alcohol to make you feel better. � My students were kind of confused as they didn �t get the meaning of it. Could you tell me another meaning of this idiom? Is this idiom familiar to you? Is there any other idiom that has more or less the same meaning in English?

Here you have the link of the video my class watched.

I hope you can help me.

22 Sep 2013      

douglas
United States

The complete saying is "hair of the dog that bit you"---which originates from:

"a method of treatment of a rabid dog bite by placing hair from the dog in the bite wound."

23 Sep 2013