Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What īs the difference?    

What īs the difference?

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

What īs the difference?

Hi,

Can yoy tell me please what the difference is between :

I really like football    and  I quite like football??

Regards,
:)

24 Sep 2013      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Really means a lot and quite means a bit. I really like is stronger than I quite like.

24 Sep 2013     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Simple answer. Thank you very much.

24 Sep 2013     

yanogator
United States

Also, just in case you need to know this, in the US, we wouldn īt say "I quite like football". Also, when we do use quite (It is quite cool today), it means "very" in the US, as opposed to "a little" in the UK.

Bruce

24 Sep 2013     

frere
Albania

thanks to bruce - i am british and thought i could speak american* and did not know that.

"i can speak american" by the screaming blue messiahs - great for high level fun loving students. 

24 Sep 2013     

Zora
Canada

In Canada, we use quite both ways. Depending on context, intonation, etc. Quite can mean - I really like - or - I like it a bit.

Example:

Wow! That īs quite a deal! You got the car for a steal. - quite meaning a lot

I am quite disgust by it all. You are a scoundrel! - quite meaning very.

Well, I quite like that, but I prefer the other one. - quite meaning a little/ a bit.

It īs not quite what I want. Maybe we need to see it in another colour. - quite meaning a bit, a little, so-so

See? Context is everything Wink

25 Sep 2013