Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Present Simple or Present Continuous?    

Present Simple or Present Continuous?

abba
Spain

Present Simple or Present Continuous?

Hi dear colleagues! I came across the following sentence and I would like to ask your opinion. 

I ______ (see) Peter at 9 o �clock.

I �d use the present continuous am seeing, but some of my students asked me if present simple could be a possibility because 9 o �clock can be considered a timetable.

Thanks in advance

25 Sep 2013      

franjo42
United Kingdom

Hi abba, I see Peter at 9 O �clock every day/sometimes/occasionally I �m seeing Peter at 9 O �clock tomorrow/ this morning present simple is ok with an adverb of frequency. Present continuous for future arrangements. hope this helps

25 Sep 2013     

abba
Spain

Thanks a million franjo42.

25 Sep 2013     

alien boy
Japan

Another alternative could be �I will see Peter at 9 o �clock �  - simple future.

Cheers,
AB

25 Sep 2013     

monder78
Poland

I am seeing definitely as you �re not forced to  meet up with Peter. You are seeing him  as you want to not because you have to.  But llook at the sentence : I   go on a business trip tomorrow. In this instance you have to do it as your boss had told you to attend some business matters. The business trip is not your own choice.

26 Sep 2013     

FrauSue
France

If you were a doctor, or a psychiatrist, or a private tutor, then I see Peter at 9 o �clock makes sense - it �s a regular appointment, or (as monder78 points out) it is not your own free choice!

26 Sep 2013