Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > BUSINESS ENGLISH    

BUSINESS ENGLISH

cennoju
India

BUSINESS ENGLISH

Hello everyone,
Below is a question part of my course and I really cannot think of an answer for this one.
Any help appreciated

Q. You are freelance Business English Trainer. You are currently working in the HR department of a multinational company in Bangkok. The HR Manager calls you in and asks you to run a course for a group of engineers in the company who are due to join an international project team. Their task will be to work on site with engineers from other companies and other countries, and supervise the installation of new machinery in a hydroelectric power station. You will have the group for 6 hours every day for a week, and the course will start next week. The learners have all been doing regular English training, and are all at intermediate level or above.

a. What materials would you consider using for such a course? Discuss the benefits and drawback of using commercially published materials and making your own bespoke (tailor-made) materials.
b. What types of activities do you think would be most appropriate for such a group and why?

27 Sep 2013      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Right now I am teaching a unit on cultures (Market Leader, Intermediate) to my 11th grade business English group and we �ve been talking about how important cross-cultural skills are for doing business internationally.
I �d say a tailored training would be more beneficial for such a group. Role-plays of different situations related to real-life situations and "on-site" simulations would be more appropriate for such a group. Also, teach them business etiquette for a culturally diverse group, i.e. what �s appropriate/inappropriate for different cultures, how to avoid sensitive issues, etc.

27 Sep 2013     

spinney
United Kingdom

I �m with Sophia on this. Tailoring your own stuff or using what you can find rather than any published stuff, which can be a little on the boring side, is often the best way (although there are some good books their activities leave a lot to be desired). Perhaps you might want to focus on their Presentation skills and also the kind of vocabulary used in meetings and negotiations as well as cultural differences and business cultures (2 different things). I �m praparing some role-plays and activities for a forthcoming Business English seminar that I have with a brewery. I should have some things to post on Monday morning. Some of them may be OK for your course. Check on Monday just in case you see something that could be useful. If not, well, good luck with it anyway! Thumbs Up

28 Sep 2013