Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > guys or folks    

guys or folks

marwashehab
Egypt

guys or folks

Dear Colleagues,

please advise what is the difference in saying guys and folks in informal speaking.

Thanks

27 Sep 2013      

Giulietta66
Switzerland

I think it �s quite the same...

27 Sep 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

folks

27 Sep 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I think I �d be inclined to use folks with older people and guys for the younger generation.. For example, I call my students collectively guys (they are all boys by the way) but I couldn �t call them folks, as they are too young. At my dancing class, we are collectively addressed as folks (men and women). 
...Just a few observations from England. 

27 Sep 2013     

libertybelle
United States

I usually use guys with speaking directly with a couple of people, but when I talk to the whole class and not just a few, I say, for example, Let �s find our seats, folks.

27 Sep 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

Call me old-fashioned, but I always use �chaps � - regardless of age, gender, nationality or sexual orientation Geek

Incidentally, the difference - or not - between folk and folks might be an equally interesting area of discussion. Possibly a BrE/AmE divide?

28 Sep 2013     

Jayho
Australia

I my neck of the woods  folks is rather old fashioned although we do refer to our elderly generation as folks, the old folks.

Guys is what we use for our generation and younger, irrespective of gender.

Chaps is very British but used from time to time.

28 Sep 2013