Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > WHICH ONE IS CORRECT?    

WHICH ONE IS CORRECT?

gulsahbilge67
Turkey

WHICH ONE IS CORRECT?

Hi, colleagues !!!

Which one is correct? 

- You will never find nobody like me.
- You will never find anybody like me.

nobody or anybody? which one is correct to use after "never" ?

I think  "never find anybody" sounds better, but there is a song title with the other option, "never find nobody".

Is it possible to use such two negatives together in one sentence?

Thanks right now. 

Greetings from Turkey.

29 Sep 2013      

flo england
France

"You �ll never find anybody like me" because it �s a negative form.

29 Sep 2013     

gulsahbilge67
Turkey

I agree with you. But there is a song by Amanda Perez, "you will never find nobody like me".

How can it be possible? I �m totally confused.

29 Sep 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

Double or even multiple negatives used to be all the rage in English until at least the 17th century. Nowadays, it�s considered non-standard (which is NOT the same as �wrong� or �incorrect�, incidentally) or characteristic of certain dialects (like Cockney). It�s not uncommon in song lyrics ( �I can�t get no satisfaction� etc). Mind you, I�m not unhappy is a perfectly standard double negative (two negative forms in the same clause).

It�s never a good idea to impose the rules of logic on language, so don�t worry about it, gulsahbilge67.

29 Sep 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

However, if an English student wrote �You �ll never find nobody.... � they would be corrected. In formal written English, double negatives are not acceptable. 

29 Sep 2013     

gulsahbilge67
Turkey

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Almaz. I got the point. I guess such non-standard uses may be found in almost all languages, but my question was actually about it �s practical use in daily life. I cannot impose any rule myself Smile , but I can only depict  the accepted ones.
I �m a TEFL teacher and my students may get easily complicated when I tell them this is the rule of logic but ....  See ? Such uses of English may be so hard for non-native speakers. 

Thank you, Cunliffe.  I see it �s normally not acceptable even for English students, but possible to use in everyday language. I �ll bear it in my mind. 

29 Sep 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

My pleasure, guisahbilge67. The point about logic and English grammar is that you shouldn �t confuse them. You hear people talk about "double negatives" as if one cancels out the other. Only an anally-retentive buffoon would suggest that "you will never find nobody like me" actually means "you will find someone like me" 
(by that logic, a triple negative would restore the negativity: "you won �t never find nobody like me" - a construction not uncommon in Cockney dialect - means "you will never find anybody like me" even though it too is most definitely non-standard).

A lot of this sort of nonsense can be laid at the door of well-meaning blowhards like Robert Lowth: 

It can only help if an English language teacher can tell the difference between standard and non-standard, as well as between formal and informal. In a world of instant communication and borderless social networks, your English language learners will thank you for it.

30 Sep 2013