Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > pronunciation    

pronunciation

racim
Algeria

pronunciation

Hi everybody ,
     I �d like to know whether we classify the pronunciation of the final "s" in the verb "
"studies" with the pronunciation "z" or "iz"  as far as the "i" sound is included in the stem "study"?
      Thank you very much 
               Redouane

4 Oct 2013      

MoodyMoody
United States

The rule for pronouncing final -s in plurals or in third person singular simple present verbs is actually pretty easy, simple phonemic assimilation:

If the word ends in a sibilant sound (s, sh, z, ch, j, or x sound): the -s form is spelled -es and pronounced iz (short i sound). Examples: misses, washes, buzzes, matches, pages, or boxes. (Notice that the e in pages was silent in the singular/simple form, but pronounced in the plural/-s form.)

If the word ends in an unvoiced, non-sibilant sound (p, t, k): the plural or -s form is spelled with an s and pronounced s. Examples: hopes (e silent in both the simple and -s forms), hats, and talks.

If the word ends in a voiced non-sibilant sound (all vowels, b, d, g, l, r, m, n, ng): the plural or -s form is usually spelled with an s but pronounced z. Since study ends with a vowel sound, the plural/-s form is pronounced studiz (short u sound in the first syllable, long e sound in the second).

I hope this helps.

4 Oct 2013     

Messdjef
Algeria

I see that nobody answered the question you asked. Because no idea ? :)
Well, in verbs ending with the vowel sound /i/, the consonant "s" is pronounced /z/ and NOT /iz/, because as you said yourself, "i" is a part of the root.
Here are some other similar verbs / nouns: worries, carries, bodies, ladies ...

4 Oct 2013     

oumsalsabil
Algeria

Salem,
Why MESSDJEF are u saying that nobody answered Redouane �s question? I think that MoodyMoody fairly did by providing the pronunciation rules of the inflection �s �. May be the other esl teachers are not interested because teaching pronunciation is not part of their English curriculum as it is the case here in Algeria. You know as much as i do that our curriculum is full of gaps and instead of focusing on grammar and practice we turn to teaching pronunciation of inflections, assimilation , stress, intonation and weak forms.Things I myself didn �t learn when I was at the university.
Anyway, I �ll try to make things clearer for  Redouane with the following rules:

If the  final sound of the word is one of the following: /t/, /p/, /k/,  /f/,/θ/,the inflection �s�is pronounced  /s/

If the final sound of the word is one of the following: /s/,  /ʃ/,   /ʧ /, /z/,  /ʒ/ , /ʤ/,the inflection �s�is pronounced  /ɪz/

After the remaining consonant sounds /b/,  /ɡ/,  /v/, /�/, /ŋ, /l/, /m/, /n/, /d/ or any vowel sound, the inflection �s� is pronounced /z/ . In the word �study � , the final sound is the short vowel /I/, so when we add the inflection �s � either to get the plural of the word if it �s a noun or the present tense with the 3rd person if it �s a verb, we pronounce the �s � /z/

In

5 Oct 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

I will admit that I was a bit lazy by not wanting to bother with IPA symbols, but messdjf, I thought I answered racim �s question fairly thoroughly, even pointing out that the phonemic process was the same for -s forms of the verb and plurals. I answered the specific example as well. Please tell me what I missed so that I can do better, both here on the boards and in the classroom.

5 Oct 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

MoodyMoody - I suspect that you and messdjf were posting at the same time. 

5 Oct 2013     

Messdjef
Algeria

Sorry for my ambiguous (incorrect, should I say) comment. 

5 Oct 2013     

racim
Algeria

Thanks for helping .I wanted just to confirm because many teachers classify the "s" sound of the words ending in "y" in the column "iz" .
Thanks a lot you were all great .

5 Oct 2013