Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Silent Method    

Silent Method

monasabry
Egypt

Silent Method

Hi all, please I need some help with the silent method of teaching. Do you have any ideas for lesson plans? 

5 Oct 2013      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

No ideas, but I �m looking forward to the suggestions. If I knew a method to keep a class silent, I would patent it. Wink

6 Oct 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

this might help?

6 Oct 2013     

Effedi
United States

Silent? Teaching a Language in silence? What do you mean? About the methods to keep a class silent and intersted I strongly recommend PNL : I have read PNL for Teachers and it was GREAT :-) I hope I was useful, in some way

6 Oct 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

I have heard of the Silent Way of language teaching, but like Effedi, I am skeptical. I know that as a teacher I talk too much, but saying nothing is an overreaction. If I taught a more advanced level class, I might try it, but lower-level students need the teacher to model. Try Googling Silent Way language teaching and see what you get.

6 Oct 2013     

Peter Hardy
Australia

The method is from the 1960 �s and its �inventor � disagreed with the then common teaching methods. Nowadays we know better. The one thing I have learned is that you do not learn without examples aka role models. I �ve also learned that many of these so-called great methods hardly ever work. They often state that students learn in many different ways, only to give you just one way: theirs. So I agree with the others, that some silence in class is beneficial, but this method is not what I would use. For example, if I give you a picture and some colours, would you be able to figure out what to say in my native language? Think about it in silence, and let us know when you �ve figured it out. :-) And then their is of course Google to find out more. http://fr.slideshare.net/ahmetmesutates/silent-way-teaching-method seems to be the dominant site. Good luck.

6 Oct 2013     

libertybelle
United States

Language is a living thing - it must be read, spoken aloud, used, listened to and seen!
After I have gone through an assignment  - worked with the vocabulary - I put my students in small groups with questions and pictures they need to discuss.
Using a language is the only way to move passive words into active words.

If you choose subjects that are relevant to your students � own lives, they will love to speak.
I always start with topics close to home.
I also take photos of my students doing different things and let them discuss what is going on in the pictures. (good for grammar too)

Guided learning can be fun - as long as your students find it relevant!
There is nothing silent about learning a language.

good luck

6 Oct 2013     

Mariethe House
France

Have a look at this:
http://www.onestopenglish.com/support/methodology/teaching-approaches/teaching-approaches-what-is-the-silent-way/146498.article

The silent way method encourages students to talk, think,be the actors of their learning and the teacher is the silent element!

It is a great approach and doesn �t deserve to be looked down upon. Smile But like many other ways of teaching, or research, it has its limits .

6 Oct 2013