Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > present simple or continuous    

present simple or continuous

Ruwayda37
Egypt

present simple or continuous

Hello dear colleagues,
I need your help with numbers 2 , 5 & 7 in this grammar exercise:
Put the verbs in brackets into the present simple or the present continuous. Justify your answers.
Greetings from Corfu! This is a wonderful place. Mary and I 1) ...(have)... a wonderful time. We 2) ..(not/do)... much sightseeing. Every morning we 3) ...(swim)... in the sea , but today I 4) ..(relax) by the pool drinking tasty fruit juice while Mary  5) ..(windsurfing).. She 6) ...(enjoy) it a lot. We 7)...(spend).. most of our evenings out.  We often 8) ..(eat)... at restaurants or 9)..(go).. for a walk.

Thanks a lot!

9 Oct 2013      

yanogator
United States

2 and 5 are both talking about now, so they are both present continuous.

7 could be either, since it is somewhat long term, but present continuous is the better choice.

Greetings from Corfu! This is a wonderful place. Mary and I are having a wonderful time. We are not doing much sightseeing. Every morning we swim in the sea , but today I am relaxing by the pool drinking tasty fruit juice while Mary  is windsurfing. She enjoys it a lot. We are spending most of our evenings out.  We often eat at restaurants or go for a walk.

For #6, if Mary is new to windsurfing, so her enjoyment is just beginning, you could say "She is enjoying it a lot", and it would be correct. The context here isn �t clear, so either way is fine.

Bruce

9 Oct 2013     

Ruwayda37
Egypt

Many thanks!

9 Oct 2013