Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > my little students are driving me nuts    

my little students are driving me nuts

garmarpi
Spain

my little students are driving me nuts

Hi everybody!

I would love to receive your comments and ideas...
I teach a small group of 4 girls aged 4-5 at a nursery. They are extremely talkative and fidgety.They are best friends and go to the same school together. All the classrooms of the nursery have lots of toys, so they can �t sit still a moment. They are constantly touching the teddy bears, moving around the room, putting on the toy necklaces, etc. They don �t want to learn English. They are only interested in playing.
I �ve tried songs, educational computer games, crafts, videos and worksheets with them. They stay calm a few minutes and then they go to play again, so I have to stop the class and bring them back to the table. It is nerve-racking.
Next week I will give them stickers for good/bad behaviour, but apart from this, I don �t know how to handle the situation. I can �t ask the nursery director to remove the toys. 
Any ideas?

Thanks

11 Oct 2013      

ELOJOLIE274
France

my advice: use the toys! each time they need to get up and take a toy, tell them they need to say the name of the toy (eg: "teddy bear"...) they �ll learn English AND play :)
after a while you can teach them sentences "I have a teddy bear" and in a few months "can I take the teddy bear?"

by the way, it �s normal for kids that age not to want to "learn", you need to use their energy, their need to play/touch things/get up etc... to teach them english IMHO...

good luck and have fun!

11 Oct 2013     

tulka
Slovenia

Stories work great at this age. Find some cute and simple picture stories in English (or any other language, as long as you �read� it in English).

There are some good and simple cartoons, too: Maisie and Peppa Pig - tell the girls to try to find the words for �thank you�, �please� etc.

Make a tea party with the girls - don �t try to TEACH them, PLAY with them and they �ll learn lots!

Most importantly: don�t show them you are stressed. And do not worry too much - the way they are acting is normal for their age.

11 Oct 2013     

dutchboydvh
Singapore

I agree with both above. But it is also important for them to learn that they need to stay in their seats during class. But keep in mind that at such a young age, they won �t be able to do it for long. In a classroom of kids that age, i �ll bet you feel like your are trying to herd cats. LOL

Usually I have them practice writing their letters, and colouring (as colouring helps them to learn to control the pencil.) at the table. We also go through the letter sounds as a group, diagraphs and triagraphs. Shouting them out together with everyone in their chairs. The same goes for vocabulary.

Every ten to fifteen minutes or so, switch to an activity they have to move around for.

Magic chairs is a fun game. Set up three chairs side by side, then place three students in the chairs. The first chair is first sound, middle chair is middle sound, and last chair is last sound. Show them a picture and have them jump up saying their sounds. P-I-G (Remember that first sounds are the easiest for kids to hear, then last sounds... and middle sounds are the hardest.) Then the rest of the class yells out the word. Put the stronger students in the last and middle chairs, and the weaker ones in chair one.

Another thing you can do is place pictures on the walls at the kids level. Make a game of shouting out a word, and a child will run to point it out.

I give stickers, but only if they behave. We have daily "bookmarks" with the school �s logo on it. At the beginning of class I write each students name on a separate bookmark. I give a "chop" (a rubber stamp with a star, smiley face or something on it) to everyone sitting properly in their chair. For raising their hands to ask a question. Etc. If at the end of the class a student has 6 "�hops", they get a sticker... if they have 8 I give them two stickers. If a child is being very naughty, I will warn them that they could lose a chop. If they continue I cross one out. I then give them a chance to re-earn the chop by behaving. I try very hard to reward good behaviour verses punishing for bad, but sometimes it �s necessary. This method is surprisingly effective in getting them to behave.

I keep story time for the last 15 minutes of class. If everyone works very hard to learn, then we all get to read at the end of class. It �s another type of reward and something to look forward to... for them as well as me. I bring the bookmarks to the reading corner and we all sit together and I read them a book. I reward them with a chop for listening, , getting along, not jumping up... ect.

At that age they are not used to sitting for extended periods of time. It will be like a goat rodeo for a while, so just expect it. Good luck!

11 Oct 2013     

Pelletrine
France

I agree with all previous posts: that age you are able to learn through playing..... only. ;o) 

- A friend of mine, now retired, directed a kindergarden school (maternelle in french 2-5/6 years old). She took personnaly care of the 2 years old: she had more or less 30 (yes, thirty!) kids in her class every year.  Once I had become a middle school teacher, I asked her how she managed so well with her 2 years old.....the answer came, promptly, with a big smile (from a lady with a lot of energy) : "easy: you change activity every five minutes."

- I learned a lot from that answer!!! : even much older kids, having lost the love of learning ... can come back, and learn a lot through laughter, fun and play; especially if you change the input very often. They must never have time to become borred.

Good luck, I wish you a well of energy! You �ll soon have lots of fun, enjoying watching how these little girls will learn all you wish to teach them ......... without even knowing they are being taught ;o))

11 Oct 2013     

garmarpi
Spain

I love your ideas. Thank you so much.Wink

12 Oct 2013