Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Near to or near?    

Near to or near?

akvillina
Iran

Near to or near?

Dear teachers;
Hello, is there anybody who can help me?
Is it correct to say "near to" or "near"?
I mean in for example this sentence" Our library is near to our classrom"? or we had to use "near" instead of "near to"?

Thanks in advance

11 Oct 2013      

monder78
Poland

You may say either close to a place or near a particular place. We don �t use the preposition to with near.

11 Oct 2013     

mari_18cf
Brazil

close to or next to; but for near dont use a preposition.

11 Oct 2013     

akvillina
Iran

thanks a lot.

12 Oct 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

Where does this rule that you can�t use to with near come from? I�ve never heard of it. When I read this, I came damn near to spitting my coffee all over my laptop. Admittedly, it�s not quite as common when talking about physical proximity (except with the comparative and superlative eg the bus stop nearest to my house), but it does happen, I can assure you. 

12 Oct 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I didn �t know this �rule � either. I would have said �near � or �near to � - both are fine. 

12 Oct 2013     

lesleymisano2
Italy

I agree with Cunliffe and Almaz that either can be used. 
Which grammar rule states that it can �t be used?

12 Oct 2013     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Maybe it �s not a matter of rules, but usage ... ? http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/102615-near-nearby-near.html   

12 Oct 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Aliciapc, I �ve checked this link and the answer given is that �he lives nearby my house � is correct but it isn �t - certainly not in British English, anyway.

12 Oct 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

In American English, it �s more common to use near without to, but it �s certainly not a mistake or odd to say "near to." In fact, at least one idiom uses near... to: "near and dear to my heart."

12 Oct 2013     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Thank you both, now I know the site is not reliable - and - that even if "near to" sounds odd to me, it �s still correct ! Have a nice Sunday :-)

12 Oct 2013