Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Please help me!    

Please help me!

ihtiyaryer
Turkey

Please help me!

How do you say this sentence "My family has lunch at 12" or "My family have lunch at 12" 

12 Oct 2013      

Messdjef
Algeria

"family" is singular, so we say "my familiy has ...".
But, "the members of my family have ...". Am I right, dear native speakers of English ?

12 Oct 2013     

kleopatra12
Tunisia

hi 
family is a collective noun. 
You use the singular when referring to the group as a whole unit and the plural form when the focus is on the group as a collection of individuals.
Generally it makes little difference which is used and the singular form is more common.

12 Oct 2013     

Teacher Tammy Abreu
Brazil

My family can be replaced by "it". 
So, you should say "My family has..."

12 Oct 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

These illustrations might help you understand collective nouns better

12 Oct 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

In the USA, we would say, "My family has lunch at 12." However, I think in British English (correct me if I �m wrong) they say, "My family have lunch at 12." I �m not sure about the other English speaking countries.

12 Oct 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

With collective nouns, like the family, the team and the police etc, you can use either singular or plural. I think it is becoming more prevalent in England as MoodyMoody suggests, to treat them as plurals e.g. the police have arrested a man.  

13 Oct 2013