Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > queries ,queries, still queries    

queries ,queries, still queries

monder78
Poland

queries ,queries, still queries

What �s the difference betwen the following words :  voucher, coupon , chit BE, token. If translated into Polish they sound  almost the same. What context  is each of them used in ?  I have heard  that you say book token , gift token, coupon which entiles you for discounts when you buy, let �s say, at the grocer �s, voucher to the cinema etc.
Which one refers to  a slip of paper or a booklet of papers  which you take to a shop and  pay less or even nothing  for some products usually you get it from your employer for Xmas.
 It �s  obvious that  native speakers know better. Thak you in advance for  making an efford to clarify them for me.

14 Oct 2013      

yanogator
United States

I �ll get the ball rolling, then others can contribute what they know. My answers are in AmE, so the British usage might be different.

I have never heard of BE, so I can �t help with that one. Also, I don �t use the word "chit", so I �m not clear on exactly what it is.

A voucher is usually used to exchange for something, as complete payment.
A coupon is usually used to obtain a discounted price.
There can be some overlap, in that a coupon could be a 100% discount.

The books you refer to are usually books of coupons.

A token is something other than paper, such as metal or plastic, similar to a coin. It is usually used as a substitute for money.

Bruce

14 Oct 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

token

14 Oct 2013     

edrodmedina
United States

@ Bruce...A chit is what a bear does in the woods. Big smile ed

14 Oct 2013     

monder78
Poland

Dear natives you haven �t let me down as usual.  Many thanks, now I am more aware of the difference between the words.

14 Oct 2013     

Goodboyboy
Brazil

People I can �t find the combination "charge over", I need to use a text and the tittle means "

Brazil firemen charged over Kiss nightclub blaze."

I imagine it is the same as "to be in charge with a crime" "accused", but if you can help me I �ll be thakful :)

14 Oct 2013     

Elina21
Greece

Hello everybody! Although my contributions have raised some interest and I do have some points gathered, could somebody please tell me why I can �t download worksheets? There �s always the sign of not being able to download due to my few points.
Thank you very much in advance for helping me!

14 Oct 2013     

kalaa
Algeria

Hi, you can �t download until you reach 30 points.good luck

14 Oct 2013     

yanogator
United States

@Goodboyboy,
Begin a new post to ask a new question. Otherwise, your question becomes buried among the responses.

The "over" in the headline means "concerning", "in relation to", so the firemen were charged (formally accused) in relation to the crime. It is not a phrasal verb - just a verb being used before a preposition.

Bruce

14 Oct 2013     

yanogator
United States

@Ed,
I believe I told you to go to your room a while back. Now stand in the corner once you are there.

Bruce

14 Oct 2013