Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Who is / Who are    

Who is / Who are

amyi
France

Who is / Who are

Hello Everyone!
I wonder if you can help me.  I �ve given my pupils an exercise to do which includes:      _____ _____ in the kitchen?  Janet and John are in the kitchen.
Now, my question is:  why do we say "Who is" rather than "Who are"?  Is it because when we ask the question, we don �t know how many people are in the kitchen?  As a native speaker, I know that I should know the answer, but I just don �t have any explanation to offer the pupils who wrote "Who are".  I �d be very grateful for any help you could give me!  Thank-you!  Amy

28 Oct 2013      

flo england
France

Hello!
this is a very good question indeed! I would say "Who is in the kitchen?" because as you said you don �t know that there �re two people when you ask the question.

28 Oct 2013     

titine69
France

You are both right.We use "who is" because who refers to "he" or "she"when we ask the question.I �m not sure it helps but it �s the same when we ask:Who comes to the party tonight?We use the singular.
That �s a tricky question!
Titine

28 Oct 2013     

amyi
France

Thank-you both very much for taking the time to help me!  Amy

30 Oct 2013