Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > GOING TO or GOING TO GO    

GOING TO or GOING TO GO

francavelez
Peru

GOING TO or GOING TO GO

Hello friends.
I need your help.
Is it possible to use GO after GOING TO for the future?

Which is correct?
1. I am going to go out with friends this weekend.
                 or
I am going out with friends this weekend.

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!

2 Nov 2013      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Either of those is fine, so your answer is that it is OK to use �going to go �.  

2 Nov 2013     

chere
Spain

Both are correct, but they are different tenses; by the way"I am going to go out with MY friends this weekend

2 Nov 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

By the way, in American English at least, it �s fine to say "going out with friends." That the friends are yours is implied.

As far as "going out with friends" versus "going to go out with friends" goes, there �s a little more emphasis on the future with the second. However, for practical purposes, they �re pretty much interchangeable.

2 Nov 2013     

viccxx
Greece

Both are just fine...but if we want to be really pedantic about it, �going to go � suggests there is an intention to go out (it �s not exactly certain) and �going out � means it �s certain, a previously made arrangement. 

2 Nov 2013     

chere
Spain

by the way, in the sentence "I broke MY leg", it is also implied that the leg is yours, but that is the right way to say it (not "I broke THE leg" or "I broke A leg"), the same with the sentence  "I am going to go out with MY friends this weekend", although is implied that the friends are yours and everyone will understand you, that is the right way to say it. 

2 Nov 2013     

frere
Albania

dear chere
i do think you are confusing everybody.
i think 99% native speakers would say "I �m going out with friends/my friends...." and hopefully avoid breaking anyone �s leg!
p.s. i had three happy years in Lima - me gusto cantidad; sobre todo l �amistad de la gente.

2 Nov 2013     

francavelez
Peru

Thanks a lot everyone.!!!!
And Frere, Per� is wonderful, I hope you had a good time in Per�, specially in Lima. Thanks again.

3 Nov 2013