Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > "Have got" / "Have gotten"    

"Have got" / "Have gotten"

diegomdq
Argentina

"Have got" / "Have gotten"

Hello! one of my students asked me what �s the difference between these two forms, since he heard in a film someone said "I �ve gotten..." instead of "I �ve got". And he got confused as to when to use one form or the other. Can anyone suggest an  explanation?  I guess "have got" is mostly used when talking about possession (like "I have a car" = "I �ve got a car) but I �m not sure about "I �ve gotten" and I think I have never actually used the "gotten" form of the verb. 

Thanks! 

3 Nov 2013      

feliped.up
Chile

In the US they say: "I have a car" in the UK they say "I �ve got a car" that �s mainly the difference. The past participle of the verb "To get" can be "got" or "gotten", although "got" is more common, "gotten" would be okay as well.

3 Nov 2013     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Our American friends may confirm that �gotten � is more American. I �ve gotten sounds very strange to many of us (non-americans). Plus an important fact: language used in movies and many other media, eg the news, often is far from correct!!! Cheers. Peter

3 Nov 2013     

FrauSue
France

"I �ve gotten" is the American form of the present perfect "to get". In the UK, we would use "I �ve got". In UK English, this form survives in the verb "to forget" (I �ve forgotten) but the corresponding past participle with "get" has fallen out of usage.

4 Nov 2013     

joy2bill
Australia

Language used in movies can indeed be far from correct but it can also be more �real � than anything we take out of a textbook.
Rap music is particularly unusual in its grammar constructions but it will stick in the minds of students for far longer. Language constantly evolves!
Vive la difference!

4 Nov 2013     

diegomdq
Argentina

Thank you all!!! 

5 Nov 2013