Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > present perfect    

present perfect

nemomen
Romania

present perfect

Hello everyone! I am in a quandary regarding a sentence transformation from past simple to present perfect:
They moved to L.A. when they were married.
They have lived in L.A. since they were/got married.
Are they both correct?
Thank you>:D<

6 Nov 2013      

psycr0w
Brazil

The first, simple past sentence, is correct.
The second should be: They have lived in L.A. since they �ve got married.

See ya.

6 Nov 2013     

mohamedthabet
Tunisia

Sorry psycr0w, your second sentence isn �t correct. Since is to be followed by simple past or a time word indicating past because it �s the time when the action or state started.

The 2 sentences nemomen suggested are correct though not expressing the same type of action. The first means an action that took place at a definite time in the past without any reference to whether it continues to / in the present or not. The second sentence, however, clearly states that the action is related to the present time. (through the use of "since")

6 Nov 2013     

nemomen
Romania

my question was about the use of were or got(sorry for not being clear enough:(
so can I use were and still be correct or do I have to change were into got?

6 Nov 2013     

mohamedthabet
Tunisia

Again, both sentences are correct, but still different in meaning:

a) They moved to L.A when they were married = indicating their marital status when they moved to L.A = they were then already married, not single or other status.
b) They moved to L.A when they got married = just after the action of getting married, they moved to L.A. (the action of moving to london took place after the action getting married)

6 Nov 2013     

douglas
United States

Both sentences are correct and both can have the same meaning (Sorry Mohamed, I disagree slightly).

We were married on May 16th.

We got married on May 16th.

Both sentences mean that May 16th was our wedding day; however, the first sentence can also mean that we had matrried prior to May 16th and were still married on that day.

In the end, using "got" helps prevent confusion, but both can serve your purpose.

Cheers,
Douglas 

7 Nov 2013     

nemomen
Romania

Thanks a lot, it makes perfect sense >:D<

7 Nov 2013     

yanogator
United States

Well, Douglas, I disagree with you just a tiny bit. I totally agree with what you said about "were married" in your example. However, in the context of nemomen �s original sentence, mohamed �s interpretation is more likely. Your interpretation is definitely possible and grammatically correct, but not as probable.

Bruce

7 Nov 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

When they got married, as per mohamedthabet �s explanation and also Bruce �s - it �s a more natural utterance.  

7 Nov 2013