Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How to classify?    

How to classify?

akvillina
Iran

How to classify?

Hello dear teachers;
I  have downloaded some  worksheets, but now i can not find some of them.How do you classify your worksheets?They are related to many topics and finding different files and saving the works there is really time consuming.
Can you show me a simple way to save the files to classify them and to  find them when needed, soon and easy?

is there any software for donig this?

thanks in advance
sincerely
 Mahnaz

9 Nov 2013      

silvia.patti
Italy

Hi, I divide them in different folders: reading, grammar, writing, vocabulary... In each folder I save the worksheet with its title  (Have got, at the park...); the grammar worksheets have some information in brackets, e.g. present simple, past simple, negative form...
Hope it helps
Silvia

9 Nov 2013     

ELOJOLIE274
France

first when i save a ws i write its name as follows "name of ws - name of author"
for your most downloaded one it would be "classroom expressions - akvillina" so i know whose work i download/like most and try to for similar documents this author did if I need more...

then i have different folders:
- grammar
- vocabulary
- methods & classroom skills
- civilization, culture etc.
- reading
- listening
- writing
- speaking production and oral interaction

inside each folder i have more folders, for example in "grammar" I have present, past, perfect, passive-active voice, be + -ing, etc...
in "vocabulary" I have school-classroom english (your ws "classroom expressions would go there"), feelings, house-objects, jobs-activities-hobbies, describing people physically, etc.
in the folders "reading", "writing" etc. I have sub-folders that show the level of the ws: beginner, intermediate, advanced
in the "civilization, culture" folder I have different sub-folders: one for each country where English is the main language (UK, US, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa but also Kenya etc.) then I have folders like "movies", "songs", tv series" etc...
in the "methods & classroom skills" i have ws to help build sentences (using link words, understand what an adverb is etc...), and ws to help pupils acquire new skills (looking for a word in a dictionary, evaluating a friend �s spoken production, working in a group...)

then I have my "lesson plan folders"
these one include all the documents i need for a lesson plan, documents I used in class or documents I was INSPIRED by, or documents i wanted to use but couldn �t, or documents i found afterwards and want to use next time...
these look like this "0 A1 A2 bullying" or "0 A2 B1 i �m writing the obituary of a famous dead singer" (the 0 is because I want them to be at the top of my list, A1 A2 is the level of the CEFR I evaluate in the final task, then comes the theme or the task)
inside these folders i have less sub-folders:
1�  reading-writing
2�  listening
3�  spoken production and interaction
4�  skills (how to, grammar, vocabulary ws etc...)
5�  final task and evaluations
6�  images
7�  other documents (all the documents i mentioned above: the ones i didn �t use but was inspired by, the ones i want to use in the future...)

it looks complicated but that �s the only easy way I found to classify my documents and find them in a couple of seconds once I know what i �m looking for...
most of my documents are classified in my "lesson plan" folders, but when i find a new document i don �t have a lesson plan to go with, i have the other folders to put it in so it won �t get lost :)

hope it helps!

9 Nov 2013     

Messdjef
Algeria

If you don �t have enough time to create folders, just name each worksheet according to its content and then when you want to go to any of them, put its name in the search bar of your PC (see: start ... search) and you �ll find it. 

9 Nov 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

I am not as thorough as elojolie but my system is similar (somewhat, hopefully)
I have a big folder for every grade I teach. Within each grade I have many subfolders, arranged by subject;
"Fourth grade"  has for example colors, clothes, numbers, can can �t, short I, short A, etc. etc.
"Fifth grade" has folders like reading , family, weather and seasons, to be, environment etc...
You get the idea. I am sorry to say I do not always write who made the sheet, I find that indeed too time consuming. Of course there are also lots of sheets that don �t fit into a specific folder, but at least they show up in the folder of the appropriate grade.

As messdjef said before, it is always a good idea to give your downlaod a name, even if it is just "animals" so that even if you don�t remember where you filed it, you can indeed still search for it with the search function of the computer. (I admit I had to do that more than a few times Wink)

9 Nov 2013     

Enid Stella
South Africa

My system is very similar to that of Elojolie but I have an additional folder labelled "general" for the level. Into this folder I save worksheets that could be used for different levels (instead of saving copies for each level - just to save space).

10 Nov 2013     

akvillina
Iran

thank you very much.
i create some folders today.

have a nice day.

10 Nov 2013