Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > The Passive voice: tips?    

The Passive voice: tips?

poowid
France

The Passive voice: tips?

Hello everyone! I can �t manage to teach the passive voice properly: my pupils still don �t get it!! Do you have any tips? Thank you for your help!

23 Nov 2013      

ELOJOLIE274
France

why don �t you use a powerpoint: you put some images, for example a man killing a woman (or a boy eating a cake)... then you put an animation on the image ( zoom ) on the man, to show that the subject is "more important" so the sentence is ACTIVE, then the same animation on the woman, to show that this time the object of the action is more important, so we use the PASSIVE voice...
then you can add other images and let your pupils use the different structures depending on whether the subject or the object is more important...

Elodie

Edit: by the way, can you delete your other post on the forum? thanks :)

23 Nov 2013     

MChappell
France

Nice idea to show a man killing a woman! or should it be not taken literally?

23 Nov 2013     

ELOJOLIE274
France

i had this idea because i tend to introduce the passive voice when I work on crime with my pupils (along with the simple past and the past perfect) and i usually show extracts of films to introduce the vocabulary and the structures... but obviously it �s just a suggestion, you can show a picture of a woman killing a man :)

23 Nov 2013     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Thanks for the suggestion .... about the killing. I �ll discuss it with my wife :-) But seriously, I �ve used the �zooming in � on the important part, and it indeed worked. Not to forget there are many more wonderful resources on this site that may help your students.

23 Nov 2013     

poowid
France

Thank you for your idea!!! I �m sorry I don �t know why but I tried to delete my other post and it didn �t work! (and I think it is still on the forum :-s)

24 Nov 2013