Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > I ´m    

I ´m

poppyzey
Turkey

I ´m

Hi everyone, Can you help me find the answer : where we can ´t use " i ´m " . as far as i know we can ´t use it at the end of a sentence but i don ´t know the detail . I will be pleased if you can help.

26 Nov 2013      

yanogator
United States

I ´m answering off the top of my head:
Definitely never at the end of a sentence or even a clause.

Also, when the "am" is being emphasized. Popeye ´s famous quote "I am what I am, and that ´s all that I am". (although he says it "I yam what I yam...")

Bruce

26 Nov 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

In answer to a question like this: ´Who is the prettiest of them all? � ´I am �. 

26 Nov 2013     

jarek2011
Poland

Cunliffe, why the reply "I am" is not grammatically sound to the question you mentioned?

26 Nov 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It is, but ´I ´m � isn ´t. I may have misunderstood the question. 

26 Nov 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Poppyzey
The rule of thumb is that contractions that are formed by noun/pronoun + an auxiliary verb do not usually come at the end of a clause and that those formed by an auxiliary verb + not (i.e negative contractions) can

For example:

I am happy = I ´m happy
He is not happy = he isn ´t happy

Are you happy - yes I am (not yes I ´m)

Is he happy - no he is not = no he isn ´t

Please note that am not is only contracted in questions to aren ´t

See Michael Swan ´s Practical English Usage (143) for a more detailed explanantion.

Cheers

Jayho

26 Nov 2013